DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '05 Dakota with the NV233. My understanding is that it's toast - it makes a lot of noise - a rattly loud clicking which increases in frequency with speed. (Gear change, coasting, braking, accelerating doesn't effect noise - only speed). We jacked up the truck and could hear the noise coming right from the case. That, and it was empty.

Oddly, the truck will still shift and drive in 4LOCK and 4LO.

I want to replace the case, but I need to make sure I get a compatible part. For some reason, most parts sites are saying the 2008-2011 is different than the 2005-2007.

I was under the impression that most modern truck transfer cases (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) all come from New Venture Gear and a lot of them are interchangeable. Is this a myth? Can anyone confirm that a 2008 or newer NV233 would or would not bolt up to a 2005 Dakota (V8 auto)?

Also, can anyone weigh on how difficult this job is? I assume the transfer case can be supported by one person. Are any special tools required besides sockets?

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still looking for this info! I'd even appreciate suggested reading to find more out about it.

From what I've read so far the New Venture Gear stuff is pretty straightforward, but dodge has different part numbers for the different years so I'm curious what might be different, and whether it would fit.

·
Registered
572 Posts
According to Factory Chrysler Parts, the NV233 transfer case does show different part numbers for the 05-07 models and the 8-11 model year Dakotas. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't fit though.

Not sure on the difficulty, or if it's a one or two man job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.