DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

At some point the person who had the truck before me decided though whatever blur of insanity to put a Chrysler 8.25 with the 2.24 gas sipping gear. from what i can tell this uses a whole lot of "unique ish" setup around it but my googling on what that means has been pretty vague. it also is an open axle and has unknown mileage since any service has been done on it.

We have pepped up the motor a lot and now we are loosing out on all the fun to that rear end. I have been searching for a low buck solution and think i have come across a good deal on a 8.25 with 3.73 gears and a trac-loc (waiting to get confirmation) on CL. it is from a 2000 XJ jeep with the beefier 29 spline axles. my thought is i could pick this up, grab a 100 buck master rebuild kit and more or less bolt this axle right on. has anyone done something like this before? i know a 8.75 or 9.25 would be better but they aren't to be found within budget with the LSD and 3.73 gearing. I have a welder so i can move the shock and spring mounts if needed, but do i need to? is there anything else that i am missing?

any help would be great as the world of rear ends can be confusing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
for anyone finding this later.... turns out a XJ axle is 4 inches more narrow than the stock 8.25. or at least my 8.25. now my decision i have to make is do i put it under my truck and reap the benefits of the stronger, thicker, 29 spline axles as well as being able to source a LSD much cheaper, but at the cost of needing 2 inch wheel spacers to achive the stock width. i am leaning toward this because of the benefits listed, and the fact i already have this rear sitting in my garage. also since its just the rear axle i wont need to worry about changes to the suspension geometry.

does anyone have any opinions on this?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts