DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer truck (1964) that I can't get fuel gauge to work correctly. I replaced voltage stabilizer with electronic one per the thread I saw. New sender that reads correctly 44 ohms at half tank. Reference voltage 5V at sender wire and also temp sensor wire. Ground is good. Short wire to ground and gauge pegs. Connect sender gauge doesn't move. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help. Also temp gauge pegs when grounded but not when connected to sensor (270 ohms).:dunno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally. Fuel gauge reads full at fill up. Problem was the gauge. I believe the resistance wire on needle was shorted due to eroded insulation. It had me scratching my head. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The circuit is just an ammeter ( fuel gauge) and a variable resistance (the sender) in series with the battery. The circuit is completed through chassis ground. When the tank is full the float in the tank moves the sender to minimum resistance and the gauge reads maximum current ( full scale). As the level in the tank drops, the resistance goes up, less current flows and the gauge drops. If you read full on fill up and the gauge drops to empty when you shut the car off, there is nothing wrong with the gauge. Any weird readings with the ignition on are caused by a screwed up sender. A missing gauge ground is an open circuit and the gauge would always read empty

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.