DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a couple different tires for my 2005 2500 4x4. One of the tires I am considering in a D rated tire instead of an E. Has anyone had any problems running a D rated tire on their 3/4 ton? I am mostly concerned with death wobble and wear. Could the slightly lower rated sidewall cause problems with death wobble or anything else I should be aware of? I'd love to hear from anyone with specific experiences relating to this question. Thanks.

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
i went from the factory "F" rated tire down to the "D" rated Firestone Destination A/T, and the diff is night and day:tup:

the truck rides 1000000% better, and that actually stopped the death wobble, i used to get it all the time on the stockers:YO:

so, if ya want a good ride, and don't tow all the time, D rated tires would be fine;)

·
Registered
452 Posts
F rated tires? I'm in the tire industry and I didn't know there were F rated tires.

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
F rated tires? I'm in the tire industry and I didn't know there were F rated tires.
I have only heard of F rated tires when I did a search on load indexes. I guess they do exist and I would guess they are only on 1 ton or small commercial trucks.

As far as the original question, I am considering doing the same with my 04 2500 because the selection is better and I don't tow/haul anything heavy. I did a search and it seems there are lots of members here who have done it with little or no bad reports. I'm still up in the air. It seems the death wobble is more associated with the 3rd gen trucks that are running lift kits and large tires like the 315's. It's interesting....I have lots of friends with Ram trucks of all different tire/suspension combos and nobody has had the death wobble, some with Hemis, some with CTD's, all 2500 series trucks. But from what I have read if you get it, it's something you don't come away from lightly. In my case I have to consider the commercial 8' plow I run all winter, too, so I have added weight I frequently carry to consider. I keep changing my mind on what I am going to buy.....now I am looking at the Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 tires which come in a 285/70/17/E but if i raise the truck too much I have to make adjustments to my snowplow frame. I have a used set of 285's I bought from a Power Wagon owner but they're not in the greatest shape.

Anyway, it seems like a common thing to do.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I also have a 2005 with the factory 265/70/17 E rated and I hate them. The ride is too hard and I dont tow a bit. I am in the hunt for D rated 315's and I want the Firestone Destinations that are highly rated by 600 users on different websites. I have also swapped from E rated to D rated in the past and love the ride much better. The ratings on a D tire are usually like 3100 to 3200 pounds each and E rated seem to be around 3800. Heck, if I am going to tow something that heavy I just as soon use a heavy duty rental truck and not mess with mine. I'v read the nittos rubber wears out quickly and the Yoko Geolanders get out of round but that could just be the people that have had other issues too with their undercarraige? I might get the Revos which are rated highly by users too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i was thinkin the same thing about the bfg at 315 70 17 they are d rated and i dont know whether to get em or not

·
Registered
377 Posts
D-rated tires work fine as long as you're not hauling heavy payloads.

Problem is, these days, most major tire shops won't install anything but a Load E tire on an 8 lug wheel.

We had to look around for a shop to mount the drag slicks on the 8 lug wheel.

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
D-rated tires work fine as long as you're not hauling heavy payloads.

Problem is, these days, most major tire shops won't install anything but a Load E tire on an 8 lug wheel.

We had to look around for a shop to mount the drag slicks on the 8 lug wheel.

I have run into the "liability issue" with local dealers here. There is one local guy who'll do it no problem.

I am trying an experiment- I am currently running 55psi of air pressure in all 4 tires on my 2500 (E load rated Firestones) and I have noticed a much better ride than I had before with no wobble or wandering while going down the road.

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
I also have a 2005 with the factory 265/70/17 E rated and I hate them. The ride is too hard and I dont tow a bit. I am in the hunt for D rated 315's and I want the Firestone Destinations that are highly rated by 600 users on different websites. I have also swapped from E rated to D rated in the past and love the ride much better. The ratings on a D tire are usually like 3100 to 3200 pounds each and E rated seem to be around 3800. Heck, if I am going to tow something that heavy I just as soon use a heavy duty rental truck and not mess with mine. I'v read the nittos rubber wears out quickly and the Yoko Geolanders get out of round but that could just be the people that have had other issues too with their undercarraige? I might get the Revos which are rated highly by users too.
I have two friends running Revos (one on a Ram CTD, other on a Toyota) and both say they will never buy anything else. Premium price tag on those babies, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts