DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a search and can't seem to find the answer. I've been noticing for about the last year, that my D sometimes loses power. To be more specific, it seems like I'm losing bottom end torque, but that could be my imagination. I haven't done any work that created the problem. It seems like it's on again and off again. Basically I have better days then others. I've also noticed that when I have my cruise control on, I have a hard time maintaining my speed on gradual inclines. I haven't seen any fluctuations in RPM so I don't know if it could be my TPS. Let me know what you guys think. With cruise control going up hill, it won't kick into a lower gear by itself, and then when it catches back up to speed, it will continue to speed up at least 10mph beyond my cruise speed before it lets off on the gas :crazy:

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
sounds like it could be your TPS. When is the last time you had a tune up? Also check and make sure your fluid levels are good. Mainly transmission. I know with mine one sensor went right after each other, so it may be a combination of things. I would check/change plugs, wires, rotor & cap, T-stat, TPS & IAC sensor.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rock. I think it's time for a new TPS anyways. Does Autozone carry this part or is it a dealer only part? Anways, I will probably try out a new sensor this weekend.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
Not sure. I picked mine up fro NAPA

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
I had a very similar problem with my 70000mi work car, fuel filter was partially clogged starving engine

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I finally changed the TPS and still having the problem. Any other recommendations? My plugs, wires, rotor, cap are less than 1 year old.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
did you reset the PCM?

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
i would pull the throttle body and clean out all of your passages. while you're at it, you may as well clean the IAC, probably has nothing to do with it, but it wont hurt. i would give everything a thorough scrub to de-carbon it. That may help. can't hurt.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I didn't reset the PCM. I was thinking about it, but thought I could get by without doing it. Will it reset by itself over time? Cbrenn, I will probably clean out the Throttle body and the IAC next weekend. I remember the previous threads on it. I can just use carb cleaner and spray everything right? Do I need to worry about getting anything inside the TB?

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
as easy as it is to remove the throttle body, i would just take it off, that way you are assured you get everything. otherwise you're basically just spraying carb cleaner and not able to get a bristle brush into the passages.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
you can try and ride it out. i don't have the patience lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will clean the TB next weekend. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I tried everything, and am still having problems with power. Like mentioned before, it started happening about a year ago. Do you think my bosch platinum plugs have anything to do with it? Basically, it downshifts to pick up speed when it shouldn't have to. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How can you tell if your cat is clogged or no good?

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
it will get very warm (more than normal).

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
crah said:
How can you tell if your cat is clogged or no good?
Besides getting very warm...it will start to rattle once the honeycomb structure inside starts to break apart.
But you loose power because the exhaust is now restricted.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
My dad had a Chebby that felt like the engine had no ummph, turned out it was the torque convertor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you ever solve your low power problem? Mine has done the same thing for awhile. I thought it was the cat, but some days it runs fine. It seems to me if the cat was clogged it would always run bad.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Has your gas mileage decreased?
Have you replaced the O2 sensor?
If yes and yes...I'd take a hard look at the exhaust system..and start with the cat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.