DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a negative to go with Sharadon cylinder heads before changing out my stock cam? Or is the natural order to do a bigger cam then heads. If I go with the cylinder heads first is there anything I need to buy ot to go along with it to make it work relative painless. Will I have to have a turner of somekind? Thanks for your thoughts.

·
12.40 @ 105.92
3,810 Posts
might as well wait to tear it down for a cam/head/pushrod upgrade IMO. but if you want to tear it down more than once, go right ahead, lol.

·
yeh my baby needs abottle
4,218 Posts
i would just wait & do it all at once. makes no sence to rip apart the motor 2 time IMO

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would I need to upgrade my intake manifold as well or will my 5.7 work?

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Do both at the same time, and the stock intake will be fine.....

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If you are thinking about upgrading the intake that would also be the time to do it.
All kinds of debate on intakes though. I got the 6.1L intake and it is yet to be seen if it going to make a whole lot of diffenece at the track or not.
Best bank for the buck is the stock intake with a new set of heads and cam.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
What everybody else said.... Do it in one shot. It is easier on your back

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
i agree with everyone to do it at the same time, but if your like me and a glutton of punishment you can swap the heads in and do thecam later. you might not be happy with the heads though if you do a heads only swap. but then again when you do the cam the power increase will be huge so you will just have to remember that the gain at that time will not be all cam. some of it will be the better flowing heads too.

·
Banned
756 Posts
do them both, you will save 100 bucks and alot of time because if your like me youll have your cam for a week then your tranny goes so then in the down time you say hey what the hell let me do my heads now and waste 1 week old gaskets and bolt kits!!

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
think the "natural order would be, headers then cam then heads or do em all at the same time and save some install time and or money.

·
Meet Hemi!!
5,728 Posts
Is there a negative to go with Sharadon cylinder heads before changing out my stock cam? Or is the natural order to do a bigger cam then heads. If I go with the cylinder heads first is there anything I need to buy ot to go along with it to make it work relative painless. Will I have to have a turner of somekind? Thanks for your thoughts.

I think it would be a good test for any Cyl heads to do just that. You shouldn't need a tuner just yet I say do it you might be surprised....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dealer was pushing heads over a cam swap. I'm not sure why they would push cylinder heads over the cam. Any ideas?

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
The dealer was pushing heads over a cam swap. I'm not sure why they would push cylinder heads over the cam. Any ideas?
first of all, the dealer dose not want to do a cam swap because they do not trust there techs to do the swap, second the labor on the heads is less. third there is less tuning involved in a set of heads than there is in a cam. personally if i were you i would not be talking to the dealer about swapping anything. they have no clue about the ins and outs of the hemi motor when it comes to performance. normally there techs would not even be able to rebuild the motor all they do is swap parts. so i would look into doing the swap yourself or at a performance shop. there are tons of people on this site (myself included) that are more than willing to help you with the swap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.