DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, 06 qc, wondering if there is any way to temporarily take out my CV joints and run my truck without them for a few weeks. i dont see how this would be a problem other that capping off both ends with something.
any ideas?

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
:popcorn:
Al.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so just remove them? do i need to cover the holes? if i do need to cover the holes, what can i use...

·
Registered
488 Posts
the one time mine broke on my 02 it was bad enough that i just turned the wheel all the way when i had the truck jacked up and was able to pull it out. i left the shaft going into the diff, just took off the boot and pulled the inner cv apart and drove it home.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you do anything on the wheel side? or just leave it empty?
Anyone else got an opinion about this?
I'm not talking about limping it home either, I want to drive it like this for a few weeks...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what about dirt and stuff getting in the holes on the wheel side or the pumpkin side...?

·
Banned
506 Posts
The diff side will have a shaft coming out-- no holes. The wheel side will be fine. Both of my little brother's 4x2s have clean splines.

·
sans sanity
1,565 Posts
What's the purpose of them then, if you can remove them?
:ugh

I can remove my radiator. What's the purpose of it?

With them in...you will have 4 wheel drive (actually two wheel, one front and one rear)
With them out you have rear wheel drive only.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
You can strap them up out of the way. If you want to remove them comppletely, you will have to open up the front diff. If you do remove them, you will need to find something to cover the ends of the diff housing to keep crap from getting in there.

·
Banned
506 Posts
You can strap them up out of the way. If you want to remove them comppletely, you will have to open up the front diff. If you do remove them, you will need to find something to cover the ends of the diff housing to keep crap from getting in there.
This is 100% false. Those looking valuable tech information should disregard this post.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
It's not 100% false... lol

No need to open the diff to remove the shafts though.

·
Registered
283 Posts
KORE told me that their prerunner truck ran without cv's for six months!!! you will be fine.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
Also no need to "cover the ends". Tying them up is also pretty sketch.
I definately don't recommend tying them up. They cost too much to replace if one comes loose and gets damaged. You wouldn't be worried about dirt and crap getting into the diff if the holes were left open?

·
Banned
506 Posts
I definately don't recommend tying them up. They cost too much to replace if one comes loose and gets damaged. You wouldn't be worried about dirt and crap getting into the diff if the holes were left open?
There are no holes. The diff is female, and the CV shaft is female. There is a double sided male splined stub shaft connecting the 2 with a C-clip on the diff side and a snap ring on the CV side. It stays in place.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
I feel stupid now... but thanks for sharing that. I am now in complete agreement with post 14.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.