DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Durango in for my free oil service at the dealer and they are saying the CV boot on the drivers side is torn. Service Advisor claims that it could be due to the larger tires I just put on. They 285/70/17.

Have any of you had a problem with the boots tearing? I have 80k miles and she is an 04. I have the 285s and 6 cranks on the torsion lift. I'm guessing it is a combination of those that lead to the torn boot.

Dealer wants $420 for parts and labor. I'm tempted to do it myself and order the parts online. Rockauto will sell the whole CV Half Shaft Assembly for $55 where the dealer wants $222 just in parts.

Anyone try replacing these themselves before?

·
Where is the snow?
4,118 Posts
Doubt it's the tires/lift.

Get a remaned one from NAPA, all the others are China made crap.

·
Mopar Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11,190 Posts
The lift/tires could have something to do with it, but suspenion parts wear and tear like everything else
Definitely replace the boot as it will get worn quickly with dirt etc. I've seen the boots that fold over and the seam is glued togther. I did this on my old Saab and it worked perfect. If you want to replace the whole axle shaft go for it. :rck:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So anybody try replacing one of these CV Joint Shafts themselves? Any write ups? I need to get it done and really don't want to pay a shop the $400. Looks like I may have to though. I've done this on my old bmw before but it is much different on this rig.

·
11,190 Posts
So anybody try replacing one of these CV Joint Shafts themselves? Any write ups? I need to get it done and really don't want to pay a shop the $400. Looks like I may have to though. I've done this on my old bmw before but it is much different on this rig.
I haven't heard of any write ups about it. :(

·
Where is the snow?
4,118 Posts
1. Loosen your nuts. (lug nuts that is)
2. Jack it up.
3. Jackstands
4. Now....just go get a chain saw
5. Cut it out.
6. If grease isn't going everywhere, you're doing it wrong.
7.Gorilla glue the new one in, put some olive oil on it.

:D just kidding ;D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Jay:

Both outer boots on my 2004 were dry rotted at 54k. Luckily local dealer took care of it under the 7/70 powertrain warranty for the $100 deductible.

You can get complete rebuilt half shafts from Autozone for ~$80 a side. They are not that hard to do.

The big part is getting the large nut that secures the shaft through the wheel bearing on each side loose and then properly retorqued.

You will also have to disconnect the upper ball joint from the upper control arm to be able to swing the assembly far enough to one side to get the shaft out IIRC.

BTW... OEM tires and wheels here. My build date was 01-04. Check your door sticker and see what it says. I bet they had a bad run of boots.

Don

·
11,190 Posts
Jay:

Both outer boots on my 2004 were dry rotted at 54k. Luckily local dealer took care of it under the 7/70 powertrain warranty for the $100 deductible.

You can get complete rebuilt half shafts from Autozone for ~$80 a side. They are not that hard to do.

The big part is getting the large nut that secures the shaft through the wheel bearing on each side loose and then properly retorqued.

You will also have to disconnect the upper ball joint from the upper control arm to be able to swing the assembly far enough to one side to get the shaft out IIRC.

BTW... OEM tires and wheels here. My build date was 01-04. Check your door sticker and see what it says. I bet they had a bad run of boots.

Don
Yeah when they go you have to fix them right away as the dirt and grime wears out the joints quick. :ugh

·
Swamp Yankee
1,201 Posts
Tires had nothing to do with them. The CV boot won't change angles on a small tire swap like that. Just them trying to cast blame on their shitty product

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.