DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my '08 Ram had the CV axles replaced by the dealer that I bought it from before I purchased the truck. Truck ran great for a couple of weeks and now I have a terrible vibration from 45-65 mph. I got under the truck and grab a hold of the axles and they are both loose as can be. Can shake them back and forth a good bit. Problem is I am 500 miles from home and wondering what to do. Can I cut them in half and take them out or do these axles seal up any grease at the diff or hubs? Not sure I want to drive it that far home with this vibration. I have a Sawzall but no tools to replace the axles with me. What to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do not cot them! They'll keep turning at the wheels and destroy anything they can reach even cause you to lose control. Best solution is get it rowed to nearst good mechanic if it cannot be carefully driven. Bite the bullet to have them removed. Have mechanic check if OK to drive w.o them installed (I think they are self contained w.o grease interface to hubs). Or, get the cheapest replacements for getting home and to the dealer. New OEM axles should last 100k or more with normal road usage.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do not cot them! They'll keep turning at the wheels and destroy anything they can reach even cause you to lose control. Best solution is get it rowed to nearst good mechanic if it cannot be carefully driven. Bite the bullet to have them removed. Have mechanic check if OK to drive w.o them installed (I think they are self contained w.o grease interface to hubs). Or, get the cheapest replacements for getting home and to the dealer. New OEM axles should last 100k or more with normal road usage.

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get them out and new ones installed before heading home. Made it home safe and sound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts