DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 1500 ram with the 5.9(360)and im lookin for cheap ways for some more throttle response. while i was lookin at the exaust i noticed the o2 is behind the cat would cuttin it off or guttin the cat affect my motors performance any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
599 Posts
you will have better response..... you may or may not get a check engine light, but it wont affect your truck, you can get an o2 sim or do the nonfouler trick to fix it

·
Cant see me
1,210 Posts
Your low end may suffer a little. A buddy of mine cut off his cat, and I left my magnaflow one on. I felt that he lost a little in the torque department. But his gas mileage went up about a mile per gallon. I heard that the spark plug fouler trick works, but not the simulator trick.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The o2 sensor behind the car just monitors the how effective the cat is. Eventually it will set off a check engine light. In the long run it may have a slight effect the fuel deliver but I doubt it. On mine i bought a O2 simulator from fastman and havent had a problem.

·
Cant see me
1,210 Posts
canadian mudder, thats good to know that the simulators actually work. How much did it cost you? Also yes, the rear o2, if nothing is done with it it will set off a code and throw the computer into open loop mode. Making the mixture very rich.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I put each sensor back into the pipes. 1 on each side. No codes and I think my mixture is normal. Your american spec'd trucks might be different tho.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I payed about $80 for the simulator. Heres the link http://www.thefastman.com/02Simms.asp I personally didnt see any effect besides the code thrown after awhile when I had my cat removed. Eventually as I said it may have a small effect but making the mixture excessively rich or lean I cant see happening, since the front o2 sensor is what has a major effect on mixture.

·
Registered
493 Posts
has anyone done a series of dynos with no cat vs the magnaflow hi-flo cats? that would be interesting to see

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I wouldn't bother buying simulators unless the truck was throwing codes. You can always put them in afterwards if you have to. My truck doesn't throw codes and it's not hard on fuel. Sounds nice too.

·
Registered
631 Posts
May I suggest a magnaflow high flow cat and ypipe? It will flow way better than the stock pipes, the pipes are stainless steel so they wont rust, look like crap, and they will last the life of the truck, plus you still get the environmental benefit of still using a catylic converter. If you are looking at spending the money on a simulator, then you might as well spend a bit more and get this! I have one and I have 0 regrets at all!

Just my thoughts though!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ive never seen an aftermarket y-pipe for our truck other than pacesetter, especially one with a cat. I need to look into this.

·
Registered
631 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
and i believe you can get just the downpipes thru jegs, if ya wanna run catless

·
Registered
301 Posts
environmentally friendly? Does that even have any meaning anymore? Get the sims and get rid of the cat. Jegs sels a nice set up, has the Y pipe and bungs for the o2 sensors. Trucks are hit and miss if they throw a code or not. Mine did after a few months.

·
Wreck Em Tech
509 Posts
I tried the Fastman O2 Simulator and it did not work at all on my pickup. I have a gutted cat with the stock O2 sensor setup and it only throws a code when I buy gas that is cut with too much Ethanol. I just use the PPIII to clear it when it happens. I run this stuff called RXP through it every other tank that keeps the carbon from building up on the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yah know, thats a good point. I noticed that the o2 light went off every time I took at trip home to my parents place - they live a couple states away. I never really knew why, but it makes perfect sense that the fuel down here is cut with a higher percent ethanol, and when I go home and get gas there, the code goes away after while..interesting...

·
Registered
984 Posts
I havent had cats on either my 2000 or 96 rams in almost a decade. No check engine lights, and sensors in place. When I replaced my 96's engine and put nothing but header mufflers on it dumped under the cab, I put the upstream O2 in the passenger side pipe where it would normally go, and just zip tied the downstream to the frame rail. Still no check engine lights. Wont hurt a thing.

·
46RE is the DEVIL
681 Posts
I cut the side of the cat that is near the frame and then knocked out all the guts of my cat. Then welded it back up. Truck runs great has new O2 sensors. But the truck throws a code for low back pressure. My exhaust would be stock manifolds, to stock Y-pipe with gutted cat to 2.5 pipe to a turbo muffler then 3" out to the stock location. Have no clue how to fix it other then put cats back in. So this summer I plan on doing the magnaflow hi flows under it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
low backpressure? never heard of such a code, lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.