DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
They sure are, and finding a replacement O2 sensor that actually fits is ridiculous. No one can find the right one except the dealership of course. S.O. a B.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Big Joe SS/T said:
if you gut or remove the cat you will need an 02 simm there is now way around it
That's false. I own a truck with dual exhaust and no cats or simulators, and I'm telling you, you don't need them.

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Ok, on second thought. From other posts I found that getting a magnaflow cat is a good way to go. Do you agree? Also, what if I do that and cut out the resonator. Will that improve anything? Or will it decrease performance?
I have a Magnaflow system that replaced the stock y-pipe & cat with all stainless steel y-pipe and high flow cat converter. Came with the bungs for the O2 sensors as well. Flows much better than stock, lets the headers work better, and still retains the proper amount of back pressure so that it's not a pig off the line. Cost me $150 shipped.
From past experiences, anytime I gutted (or removed) the cat converter, on most vehicles, I would help the higher rpm range, but really hurt the low rpm performance.
Tried it on V6s, V8s, rotary (mazda) engines...all had the same effect.

I wouldn't think that removing the resonator would affect anything except for the sound.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks! This has tied it all together for me. I think this should answer a lot of questions regarding the subject. I am assuming that this has bungs for all 4 o2 sensors?

·
catman113
230 Posts
so on my 2001 5.9 truck if i gut the convertor and leave the rear o2 sensor behind it i should be ok with check engine lite not comin on rite ?

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Post #25
Thanks! This has tied it all together for me. I think this should answer a lot of questions regarding the subject. I am assuming that this has bungs for all 4 o2 sensors?
go to http://www.hottexhaust.com/ or call them to check about the 4 O2 sensor situation. I haven't ever looked for one like that so I don't know if they carry a custom fit one for your application. BUT, they do sell universal fit ones that require minimal welding (or clamping if you don't have a torch).

so on my 2001 5.9 truck if i gut the convertor and leave the rear o2 sensor behind it i should be ok with check engine lite not comin on rite ?
Exactly wrong. The rear O2 sensor is there to determine if the cat is functioning correctly. By comparing the readings from the front sensor with the readings the second sensor is sending, the PCM determines if the cat is functioning correctly.

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
Chizzle1's right, the O2 sensor that is in or before the cat is the one to leave. Try not to damage it when gutting the cat! You'll probably need a simulator for the second sensor to keep off the check engine light. Some say it will work without a simulator, maybe on some trucks, but I think you'll need one. If I were you I'd gut it and leave both sensors in. If the light comes on you'll know you need a simulator, if not enjoy! :)

·
Yea boooyeee!
1,996 Posts
If you like the truck louder, you'll love removing the cat. My '92 was straight 3" to the Muffler (SuperTurbo) and 3" Chevy pipe (Hey, it fit perfectly) out the back.

LOUDER THAN HECK. Sounded great though!

There are TONS of Dakota people either running a rear o2 simm or they have the stock o2 zip tied up to the frame rail. You can buy a 'plug' for the 02 bung, Napa has em, try just zip tyin it up outa the way, see if your CEL comes on. If not, your good to go

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
trukdriver79 said:
good call, i think I am going to just cut the cat and straight pipe it.
Cool, try to post some sound clips when you're done. I want to hear it!

·
Pudge
297 Posts
hah ya mufflers with straight pipe aint loud, i had true dual exhaust with no cat and just straight pipe and no mufflers. If you want to go deaf do it that way, good god is it loud

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If your in California I wouldnt touch the emissions system. Unless of course you don't mind failing the smog test, and not being able to register your vehicle. Or unless you got a friend in the smog business, thats willing to risk his license.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.