Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made from 1.5" square hot rolled .120" wall steel from onlinemetals.com

Bushings are poly from jeep springs

Tabs are old jeep shackles

Attachments

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
online metals is a ripoff check with local places first and even small welding shops because most of the time you can get the steel for half the price. how well does this work? I can imagine your still getting wheel hop due to the flex in the bushings.

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
Looks good - how are they working?

Was the axle mounting location recommended to you or did it just look like a good place to put them?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The steel was about 50 bucks shipped for two 72" sticks.

The wheel hop is gone and bushings are polyurethane so they are pretty stiff. I chose the frame cross member to weld the upper tabs to because it could be removed for welding and it looked to be an appropriate distance from the axle. The lower mount location was chosen due to passenger side clearance issues. The shock mount forced me to turn the mount vertical so it fit. I will post a picture tonight.

I Flexed the truck on a dirt pile right after the install and there was no binding or clearance issues with the bars.

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
i think the cleanest install would have been a wish bone setup over the axle welded to the gas tank x member. it would be out of sight and out of the way of rocks and stuff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Big Joe SS/T said:
i think the cleanest install would have been a wish bone setup over the axle welded to the gas tank x member. it would be out of sight and out of the way of rocks and stuff.
There isnt much room on the axle tube for that type of device that I could see, besides, the bars dont hang down mush lower than the gas tank and DS anyway. I do see yoru point but its going to be a tow rig for my jeep anyway.

I have a ladder bar type anti-wrap bar on the jeep because I converted it to SOA.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
scorpion2500 said:
The steel was about 50 bucks shipped for two 72" sticks.

The wheel hop is gone and bushings are polyurethane so they are pretty stiff. I chose the frame cross member to weld the upper tabs to because it could be removed for welding and it looked to be an appropriate distance from the axle. The lower mount location was chosen due to passenger side clearance issues. The shock mount forced me to turn the mount vertical so it fit. I will post a picture tonight.

I Flexed the truck on a dirt pile right after the install and there was no binding or clearance issues with the bars.
Was there a big difference in flex/articulation from before and after you installed these bars?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the flex is still as good as it was but I never really wheel the truck anyway. The main thing is that the axle isn’t flopping all over the place. I re-installed the abs relay and the brakes didn’t go nuts today on the way to work like usual.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Thanks. I'll have to try that set up then. I have extremely bad wheel hop with my truck. Can't go over 2mph in deep snow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think these bars are the best mod I have done yet aside from my 3" exhaust system (loud).

The abs is behaving now and I feel ready to regear to 4.10's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.