DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to custom installing a brake controller in the dash of my Ram. I have done this before in my Dakota and wanted to do the same in my Ram. The Ram presented an extra problem or two. I was installing a Prodigy controller with “pocket” mount. The controller can be removed when not in use.

Cutting the right size hole due to the slant of the dashboard is a little tricky. I made a template from the hole in my Dakota. This simplified the process and saved some time guessing the extra downward length due to the slant. I removed the dash panel under the headlamp switch to make things easier. This panel is made of vinyl plastic. I was able to cut the hole by first drilling the corners with a small drill bit then using a straight edge and box cutter knife. I was also necessary to cut away some of the interior dash structure to have enough clearance to be able to “sink” the controller deep into the dash. The interior dash was hard plastic and I used a cutoff wheel on a high speed hand grinder and finished off with a hack saw blade. I then fabricated a small bracket to attach the “pocket” mount to the inter dash structure.

After reattaching the lower dash panel it was necessary to relocate the parking brake release handle. I simply moved it down about 1” and redrilled the mounting holes. All was well except the park brake handle now stuck outward and upward. After a few bends in the rod to the park brake handle and the job was complete.

It is a pain to install this way but there are advantages. Good vision of the indicator readout and easy access to the manual lever and adjustment controls. I do not have a problem with the controller sticking out and being in the way. The time to sink it as deep as possible into the dash helped here.

Pictures attached.

Attachments

·
:D Hello!!!
3,401 Posts
Very nice job! No kicking that when you climb in!!!

·
15,912 Posts
I like the work. I have the Voyager and it is mounted on the bottom of the knee panel below the steering wheel. I don't kick it at all when I get in and out of the vehicle, but I think this looks cleaner. Too bad I can't do it easily with the Voyager. Nice Job!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope these are the switches you are referring to. The left one is a factory fog lamp accessory kit switch for the front fogs. The one to the right is for my rear auxiliary lamps under the rear bumper. It is an aftermarket switch that has an illuminating rocker that is the indicator. This one is the same as the factory accessory switch in size, shape and mounting. I did put a black letter “O” turned sideways on the rocker. This knocks down the brightness and you can tell the difference in the dark by the feel (brail). You can not see them well from the drivers seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
908 Posts
i put my prodigy in the cubby hole under the ac controls....right in reach of my right hand at all times and i wont kick it either

ignore the dirty ass interior, i gots kids....lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.