Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Christopher
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post #1
Hey Everyone!

(I originally posted this in the Diesel section, but thought I should get it here also since this is where all the 4x4 experts hang out!)

I'm about to make the final decision to trade my Durango for a RAM 2500, 4WD, LWB, Cummins, Manual Tranny truck and looking for some input into the performance of this truck in loose sand. One of the things that we like to do is go 4-wheeling down Padre Island in Texas. Our old Jeep Wrangler handled the loose sand very well and we never got stuck.

How is this truck going to do? I've read that due to the extra weight of the motor, there may be some issues with sinking in sand. What about LWB vs SWB? Anybody have any real world experience? Am I asking for trouble or is this truck going to pull through the loose stuff like nobody's business? There are some desolate stretches of beach on Padre Island, so I'd like to know how I can expect to fair.

Thanks!

Christopher

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
that heavy diesel is gonna sink in sand. be sure to air down the tires.

mike

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
Its gonna sink like a beached whale, if those indeed do sink though.....

You are looking at about a 75/25 weight split with the diesel. Its going to be terribly unbalanced and the diesel in some situations wont be able to spin the tires up quick enough to keep on top of the sand. If you are going to pursue this, I would at the least look into some wider tires for the rig.

Overall, its going to depend on the situation, but a diesel is not the way to go if you are buying for offroad. Heavy, heavy, heavy.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I agree. With about 1000 lbs of engine weight, plus all the other weight in the front, your front end is going to sink like a rock(Kinda like a Chevy), anyway. And wouldnt reccomend airing down too much on a stock tire/wheel combo for two reasons. A) The tires arent made flex as much as a higher end offroad tire that is a lot more pliable and a LOT softer of a compond. B) The stock wheel cant be more than 7 inches wide and you may or may not have a tire come loose aired down and on that skinny of a wheel.

Just my .02.

Josh

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
okay dude, it will be like heaven if you do a couple things. put a decent lift kit on your rig so you can run some wider tires. now, make sure you get a rim that is the proper width for your wider tire, allowing it to air down as much as possible to widen your footprint. you might wanna look into a power programmer or a twin turbo set up if you really wanna get serious so you get a quicker spool up and faster boost. you see all the time people running those cargo baskets upfront for coolers and fishing rods, dont use it up front, put it on the rear hitch or the stuff in the bed. also, get a winch and maybe even two of those anchor looking things to stick in the sand incase you get stuck. i say two because im not sure if one would work for such a heavy truck. a winch that has a removable base is the best so the extra weight is only upfront when you need it. permanently mounting one upfront wouldnt be a bad idea though. that and make sure you are locked up front and in the rear, upfront i would use an air locker as to not hinder daily driving

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
stock wheels are 17x8's

get an after market 17x9 and a 285x70r17 Mud Terrain, or try to get Super Swamper TrXus StS they're great in sand

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
JamesJ2525 said:
You are looking at about a 75/25 weight split with the diesel.
75/25 weight split ? :huh:
On an "average" 7200 lb truck, that's 5400 lbs on the front axle, 1800 lbs on the rear axle. That's not even close....I'd say more like 55/45 or no more than 60/40 at most. Run some LT33x12.50R17's or LT305/70R17's and you should be fine.
Greg

·
Registered
697 Posts
Try looking into some Michey Thompson or Dick Cepek tires that are short and really wide like 15"s or so, I don't know if they make them for 17" wheels but if you could get a second set of tires and wheels that give you more flotation you might be allright

·
Registered
244 Posts
echo above about the wider tires. The Diesel will be a beast. Might want to consider a automatic (dont kill me) for the sand though as it is easier to keep your momentum which is also important in the sand. I cant wait my truck will be done next Monday then that Sunday I will down in North Carolina OBX for a week full of Sand runnin Fun.

·
5,101 Posts
gsbrockman said:
75/25 weight split ? :huh:
On an "average" 7200 lb truck, that's 5400 lbs on the front axle, 1800 lbs on the rear axle. That's not even close....I'd say more like 55/45 or no more than 60/40 at most. Run some LT33x12.50R17's or LT305/70R17's and you should be fine.
Greg
Please post some proof then. We can speculate on this all day long. Last time Motor Trend ran a test, I BELIEVE, they posted a Ram 1500 as having a 70/30 split, so I SUSPECT the cummins to be even more front heavy. I would like to see some figures though. Bottom line, its heavier on the front than the gas engines, so its going to be more unbalanced. More powerful, yes, but reduced traction.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

·
5,101 Posts
cool beans, sounds reasonable, but how did he weigh the front and rear seperately??

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
JamesJ2525 said:
cool beans, sounds reasonable, but how did he weigh the front and rear seperately??
The scales are "segmented" and the operator at the scales can get the appropriate weights for each axle.
Later on, in post #12, a member by the name of GoCarGo was actually able to get the weights of each corner of his truck....even I've never heard of those type scales. Next time you're out and about, find yourself some CAT Certified Scales at a larger truckstop....it only costs $6 or $8 bucks for the weigh-in process.
Greg

·
Registered
38 Posts
i was on south padre island 5 days ago in the exact truck you describe (but its an automatic) and we got stuck about 8 miles past gate 6 in some really soft sand...its a really heavy truck but that wasnt the problem...as far as off roading these trucks arent really made for the heavy stuff moslty because of their size but for your basic sand mud snow trails etc. itll do fine just realize it doesnt have the smaller wheelbase and maneuverability as say a taco or a wrangler...the weight is not that much of an issue but more the size of the rig and the skill (or lack of in my case) of the driver...below are pics from padre on 6/18

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
How was it removed ?
Greg

·
Registered
697 Posts
Keep in mind guys when you are thinking about the weight of your truck, the new Dodge diesels have a 11.5" rear end with like 4.5" axle tubes, thats not a lightweight by any means, that is probably what balances out the HD Diesel pick-ups. As far as tires, I know these guys are Duratrash fanatics but their website http://www.pacificp.com/ads.htm# shows some bada$$ tires that they have mounted on their sand toy. I'm thinkin' paddles on all four corners, on their website they have a movie of this thing racing in the sand and it hauls ass, But they have it juiced so heavily it probably won't see 100,000 miles before melting a piston.

·
5,101 Posts
gsbrockman said:
How was it removed ?
Greg
Ok, push on the count of three...

·
Investigator
992 Posts
quite a few moons (years) ago I got pulled over running 55 on a restricted section of padre island w/ a 15mph limit. The cop had a full size Bronco with paddle-like tires! He caught up to me quick to say the least! So if the cops use paddle tires, I would too if nothing for than a spare set when hitting the sand.

·
Registered
38 Posts
tow strap and a half ton 4x4

·
Registered
139 Posts
HreCmesTrbl said:
tow strap and a half ton 4x4
What size tires are you running on the truck? Did ya try airing them down?
Nice looking truck BTW!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.