DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read where a CTD went 1 million + miles without problems delivering Air Stream trailers. After driving a 2003 1500 QC 4x4 Hemi for a year and trying to make it fast, only to be disappointed....

I'm thinking about changing gears this one last time... Cummins Diesel !

What is the disadvantage of a diesel with 4x4 drive. Isn't the Cummins too heavy for 4 wheel drive. doesn't the front end sink in the mud or snow. I'd heard that from someone who owned one. He said off road the front end tended to get stuck from the added weight of the diesel engine ....any truth there ?

Maybe a CTD with 4.10's and limited slip would be just as good for that ONE week a year of snow around here.

I also heard with the right chip or programer a CTD can run with a hemi mid and top end. Although the HEMI is more responsive on the bottom end, the CTD with a mods will hold its own from there on. One mod alone for the Cummings diesel puts it to almost 400 HP. That's a bunch.

What is the weight of the HEMI vs. the CTD.

Any thoughts out there, I'm tried of messing with this TEMPERMENTAL HEMI, its like a women on perpetual PMS, sometimes she's hot, most of the time...she's NOT.

One day she burns rubber and goes sideways under WOT, the next she can hardly get out of her own way.

Yes, with my mods and 3.55's I do actually get 21 MPG at 60 mph...so what ! If I wanted mpg I'd have bought a VW.

At least with the Diesel you have that torque and long LONG life....

opinions welcome

· Registered
122 Posts
the 2500 CTD I test drove was pretty fast. I could'nt afford it, but the dealer didnt have to know that :)

Personally, I think I'd rather have a CTD, becuase then I could get a stick with it, and auto trannys in trucks are crap. You may as well drive a buick le sabre.

· Registered
129 Posts
dont let anyone fool you,,,diesels are the way of the future....with just a box for around 800 bucks new,,,,,,you will have more power than you could ever want for a daily driver.....i would suggest checking out some of the diesel sites.turbo diesel register.com,,,,,,,and diesel truck resource.com..........youll be amazed at what kind of numbers these things will turn out,,,,,,,,,,,,,bama

· Registered
73 Posts
I had to decide between and lariame Hemi or and SLT Cummins.. The choice was easy. I just ordered a performance box which you can change on the fly, between 80 and 180 hp and up to 375 extra foot pounds... Not to mention the reliability factor.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Thorn11acr said:
I
I also heard with the right chip or programer a CTD can run with a hemi mid and top end. Although the HEMI is more responsive on the bottom end, the CTD with a mods will hold its own from there on.

Diesels are built for bottom end. Also, after buying my gas engine I started thinking. I have been averaging 11 mpg. At 11 mpg in my 5.9 I spend about $200 per month in gas. Lets say a Cummins gets 20 mpg thats almost double the mileage which also equals 1/2 the monthly fuel cost. So that means I could have spend the extra $100 on a more expensive truck payment and come out the same. I may have fudged the number a little bit, but you guys get the point. If that made any sense.

· Dodgezilla
5,703 Posts
I had a 92 CTD with 33/12.5s on it and yes it got stuck everytime I got off road. Some of that may have been caused by my lack of experience driving off road. There is a correct way to drive through the mud you know.
I did hook up to a tractor/trailer once that our driver had gotten stuck in the mud. The guys were hooking forklifts and F150s to it trying to pull it out but it wouldn't budge. I went outside, hooked the chain up, put the truck in 4LOW and 1st gear, and after one revolution of my tires spinning, that TT came right out of it's hole. Man, were those people amazed!!
I'll never have a gas engined truck again......

My new truck has the same size tires and I'm not sure how it will do off road as it hasn't been there yet. Diesels are awesome but it is a completely different feel than driving a gas engined truck. My current truck seems to do great in the snow and that's all I really care about.

· Registered
1,034 Posts
One day she burns rubber and goes sideways under WOT, the next she can hardly get out of her own way.
Thorn11,
Isn't that the truth. I know exactly what you mean. The performance of the hemi can vary so much from day to day. I know the weather has a lot to do with it, but to go from burning rubber to not is a big difference. I don't think its just the weather. I know you're not exaggerating either because I notice it too & the performance difference can be that big from day to day on the same tank of gas.

· Registered
99 Posts
Honestly my next truck will be a cummins because the idea of having 900 torque gives me shivers. However I love my hemi and would not trade it for anything. I have alot of Hp options like a supercharger or headers. Things like that which will be fun while im young but will make less sense the older I get. My truck still cant burn out but from a light it still scares people shitless.

· All Around Great Guy
12,739 Posts
Thorn: CAI, headers, superchips and 4.56's and you will forget all about that diesel

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Thorn11acr said:
After driving a 2003 1500 QC 4x4 Hemi for a year and trying to make it fast, only to be disappointed....
Why not keep the Hemi and use the extra money you would have spend on the diesel to by a used sports car that is meant to go fast.

· Dodgezilla
5,703 Posts
The beauty of the diesel is that it can go that fast even if it really wasn't meant to!! I guess some people just don't get it........

· The Legendary Cross Ram
3,730 Posts
Despite my pin name: the CTD is always the best buy when compared to any gasoline powered engine...even the Hemi. :)

Rudolph Diesel designed one heck of an engine...and Cummins made it legendary. :gr_patrio

You will most likely not be grieved that you bought one for yourself, and remember: there is a lot of CTD help to be found here too. :cool:

· 5 Years... 6 Dodges
30,923 Posts
Thorn11acr said:
What is the disadvantage of a diesel with 4x4 drive. Isn't the Cummins too heavy for 4 wheel drive. doesn't the front end sink in the mud or snow. I'd heard that from someone who owned one. He said off road the front end tended to get stuck from the added weight of the diesel engine ....any truth there ?
It is heavy so no, it's not ideal for heavy off road use. However the plus to that... it sinks the front end down to where it's firm and keep rolling.

Thorn11acr said:
I also heard with the right chip or programer a CTD can run with a hemi mid and top end. Although the HEMI is more responsive on the bottom end, the CTD with a mods will hold its own from there on. One mod alone for the Cummings diesel puts it to almost 400 HP. That's a bunch.
I had an aFe intake, removed baffles and silencer and removed the CAT... none of that by itself really did much... so my only real mod I had was an Edge EZ I picked up for 300 and that got my truck (weighing 7800 day of race) to 15.5 in the 1/4. It also put 325/735 down on the ground. Now, that's a small box... only a 75/150 adder. There are several boxes out there that will put down a lot more.

Thorn11acr said:
What is the weight of the HEMI vs. the CTD.
I didn't weight the Hemi... but with 1/8th tank and not me, 7200 lbs. Full tank without me, 7900.

Thorn11acr said:
I installed a lil switch that would pick it up on the 1-2 shift... but for the most part from a stop, I couldn't get much. With my CTD (and not spooling the Turbo) I could get it sideways across an intersecion. With it spooled up and the wheels turned... I was doing donuts with ease.

Silver_Bullet said:
Honestly my next truck will be a cummins because the idea of having 900 torque gives me shivers. However I love my hemi and would not trade it for anything. I have alot of Hp options like a supercharger or headers. Things like that which will be fun while im young but will make less sense the older I get. My truck still cant burn out but from a light it still scares people shitless.
There's soooo much more out there for the diesels... especially compared to the Hemi's.

hemi1569 said:
Thorn: CAI, headers, superchips and 4.56's and you will forget all about that diesel
How's that? when you factor in how much more my truck weighs then yours does... and I still ran faster.

Got Diesel? said:
The beauty of the diesel is that it can go that fast even if it really wasn't meant to!! I guess some people just don't get it........
That'd be the people with the funny smelling gassers. lol

· Banned
1,869 Posts
im not a truck salesman, so im not here to sell you on either one.
but, i wouldnt have paid $42000 for something i didnt believe in. The diesel will simply whoop a hemis ass. period. yes everything in this world has pros and cons, but when one has more pros and less cons... i think that sums it up.
as far as weight. the cummins (no "g" on the end - thanks) is heavy, I weighed my truck on scales and the front axle was 4440 and the rear was 2980. but if you remember, you get a higher coeffiecient of friction with with more force. stinking into the mud is a different story tho, but if you get into a tugowar with a hemi, not only will you have twice the torque, pretty much the same hp, but way more traction.
again, i wouldnt have bought the diesel if i didnt trust it, so its your choice, just look at all the problems these hemi owners run into. the hemi is nothing but a gimick.
marketing at its best

· All Around Great Guy
12,739 Posts
2-Stroke said:
im not a truck salesman, so im not here to sell you on either one.
but, i wouldnt have paid $42000 for something i didnt believe in. The diesel will simply whoop a hemis ass. period. yes everything in this world has pros and cons, but when one has more pros and less cons... i think that sums it up.
as far as weight. the cummins (no "g" on the end - thanks) is heavy, I weighed my truck on scales and the front axle was 4440 and the rear was 2980. but if you remember, you get a higher coeffiecient of friction with with more force. stinking into the mud is a different story tho, but if you get into a tugowar with a hemi, not only will you have twice the torque, pretty much the same hp, but way more traction.
again, i wouldnt have bought the diesel if i didnt trust it, so its your choice, just look at all the problems these hemi owners run into. the hemi is nothing but a gimick.
marketing at its best

In what respect will it "whoop its ass"? MY hemi will also whoop a 3.7's ass but I don't go bragging about it.

· Registered
192 Posts
Just traded my 2004 hemi for a 2005 diesel and I will never own another gas burner again.

· 5 Years... 6 Dodges
30,923 Posts
hemi1569 said:
In what respect will it "whoop its ass"? MY hemi will also whoop a 3.7's ass but I don't go bragging about it.
Yea, but you also don't hear 3.7s runnin around about their all mighty 3.7.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Got Diesel? said:
You're right, I don't get it, but to each his own. I see a truck as a hauling/towing vehicle. I don't consider any 5500+lb trucks "fast", and don't think I'll see too many win money at the track.

· All Around Great Guy
12,739 Posts
Bubba_Hemi said:
Yea, but you also don't hear 3.7s runnin around about their all mighty 3.7.
I never bragged about my hemi nor will I ever. My truck is not fast, it was not intended to be.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.