DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed you just don't hear anything about the Caliber SRT 4's but when the neon SRT-4 came out it was everywhere any thoughts?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I guess not. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've only seen 2 on the road, but they are neat looking and to me stand out from the compact car crowd.
I raced one from a stop to around 80 in my 300C and it hung pretty much right with me.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Well, there are quite a few competitors in this arena now than when the Neon srt4 came out I believe. In mag tests, the Caliber seems to have plenty of go, but always finishes last in shootouts. I think the knock is the weight and handling, but it seems to get high remarks for room and size. I've not looked at the competition, but it seems to me the Caliber might be a better day to day car to live with. More room and cargo capacity certainly have merit.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
We have quite a few around town. Pretty neat little car really.....

·
ZOOM ZOOM THIS BEATCH
30 Posts
I've only seen 2 on the road, but they are neat looking and to me stand out from the compact car crowd.
I raced one from a stop to around 80 in my 300C and it hung pretty much right with me.
U are lucky it ended at around 80mph.Cause thats the point you would be trying to hang with the SRT4.The SRT4 should of been at that point on third gear around 5200rpms closing up VERY FAST on you.Top of 4th gear you would be seeing his rear window,unless your juiced(not too many people have the nerve to squirt over 100mph)From there on,that lil turbo keeps pulling the SRT4 thru 5th and 6 gear to a top speed of 155-160 depending on wind and balls. And thats in total stock form.If he would of had Stage 1,you would of been done by third gear.With a good driver of course.

They are much faster than what you think.The quarter mile traps dont reflect this,due to the lack of traction

·
Registered
80 Posts
i would have to agree with WANAGO....these things haul. nice to drive everyday, not the best handling cars on the planet, but certainly capable with a few mods! lighten the crap out of it, strut tower braces, poly bushings...make that sucker stick. then throw slicks on the front after you do engine mods...very fast! i house sat for my friend mike while he was out of town and i drove him to the airport in his CSRT-4. i flogged it on the way home and dissapointed many other drivers LOL! i was surprised myself. very potent indeed.

Dom

·
ZOOM ZOOM THIS BEATCH
30 Posts
i would have to agree with WANAGO....these things haul. nice to drive everyday, not the best handling cars on the planet, but certainly capable with a few mods! lighten the crap out of it, strut tower braces, poly bushings...make that sucker stick. then throw slicks on the front after you do engine mods...very fast! i house sat for my friend mike while he was out of town and i drove him to the airport in his CSRT-4. i flogged it on the way home and dissapointed many other drivers LOL! i was surprised myself. very potent indeed.

Dom
It definatly takes some work to keep it under control at the launch and at higher speeds,but you get used to it.You will be exhausted after a day at the track with the CSRT,no questions about it;but there will also be a huge smile on your face,after destroying many way more expensive cars.

I for one have no regrets whatsoever over buying this toy.Great daily driver that has a very nice look to it,very good fuel economy,fits all my family plus luggage on vacation time and kicks some serious ass whenever I want it to.And all this under $22K. :rck:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
U are lucky it ended at around 80mph.Cause thats the point you would be trying to hang with the SRT4.The SRT4 should of been at that point on third gear around 5200rpms closing up VERY FAST on you.Top of 4th gear you would be seeing his rear window,unless your juiced(not too many people have the nerve to squirt over 100mph)From there on,that lil turbo keeps pulling the SRT4 thru 5th and 6 gear to a top speed of 155-160 depending on wind and balls. And thats in total stock form.If he would of had Stage 1,you would of been done by third gear.With a good driver of course.

They are much faster than what you think.The quarter mile traps dont reflect this,due to the lack of traction
I don't think you're right. I was actually starting to pull as I wound out 3rd..I think I would have pulled on him right past 120...a hemi C is no slouch. I know, I own a couple of turbo cars..a 11sec '91 talon AWD and a twin turbo Stealth. I took it easy off the start as I knew he would be fighting traction being FWD. My first car I bought out of school was a '90 Laser Turbo..that I later modifed with exhaust, 16G, ect. I know how hard a high powered fwd is to launch. Like I said it ran well, better than I expected for a stock fwd 4 banger. I like them very much and I'm considering picking one up to replace my Talon as it a 4 door and I could mod it. My only concern is if I can use it as a daily driver...any complaints? Does it make a good distance traveler? I like the size and fuel economy benefit.

·
ZOOM ZOOM THIS BEATCH
30 Posts
My car is a Daily driver a family vacation car and a weekend warrior all in one.For being a "sports car",its pretty well mannered.The only thing that bugged me for a while was the throttle response when you start off from a light or stop and go traffic.I kept stalling the damn thing.But I figured it out,so thats not an issue any more. :) I thought I read somewhere that Stage 1 computer eliminates that hesitation on the throttle.
Pretty good level of comfort (its no 300C but its good :D ).Front seats are very comfortable for Daily and longer drives.(At this time the longest trip has been around 300 miles.)I havent heard any complaints from my kids about being uncomfortable in the rear seats.
I personally kept away from the extra gadgets and gizmos that raise the price on this toy.(high end radio,fast and the furious how fast im going display,etc...)
The car is well worth the money you will spend on one.
Ps- about you pulling away from the CRST......
How about we revisit that one once you own your very own Caliber.... :D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Cool. The roads here in GA are pretty smooth, so you don't need a soft suspension, but I did find the Mitsu EVO VIII, that I was going to buy a couple of years ago to be too stiff for a daily driver. I guess I'll just have to drive one to be sure. I find the 300C to be too soft a ride, and too large to be fun in the twisties.
Just don't take a Hemi 300C or Charger for granted is all I'm saying. Mine is a sport version..slightly boosted from the factory over the standard C. Mine came with a sport exhaust, sport shifting program, so its a tick quicker than a standard C, its like the Road and Track package on the Charger side.
Hey, how does the traction control work when trying to really launch the car? I'd also like to hear how that Stage 1 works if you end up getting it and it seems like a no-brainer mod to me.
Later.

·
ZOOM ZOOM THIS BEATCH
30 Posts
I wasnt knocking the 300 or any other big engined chrysler.Just talking about life experiences if you know what I mean.Just trying to tell you about the capabilities of the lil wagon with a good ballsy driver behind the wheel.Shit,I wish I could be driving a 6 speed SRT8 6.1 HEMI Challenger. :rck: But I cant afford it. :bawl:
This car fits my budget and lifestyle.And its fun as hell to drive.Def test drive it.There wont be a "maybe I will". Either its hell yes or hell no.

I'm not doing stage 1 from Mopar.Voids manufacturers warranty on engine and possible drivetrain.Waiting on something that will give a little more umph than stage 1 and i dont have to tell Chryco about it.I have an extended 7/72 warranty and I'm not about to loose it by purchasing Mopars Products.There are couple of othe options out there to put the Cali well above 300 whp.
Traction control=junk on 08 down.Something is in the works for this at this time.Just go visit other Caliber forums and go into the vendor sites.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Well, good thing I ended the race at 80 then! Hahahahahaha.
That's crazy the Mopar mod voids the warranty! I have never heard of that before. I agree, I would opt for another way. 300whp would be just about right.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I liked the neon better because i'm not a hatch person. I wish they brought back something like my Daytona or the shadow hatches that don't look like hatchbacks

·
Steelers Fan
599 Posts
I really liked the Shadow, had an 87 ES, and Daytona too, but thosestyles are not "in" right now. This "euro" look is and personally, I'm okay with it. But I know where you're coming from.

·
yeh my baby needs abottle
4,217 Posts
theirs 2 in my town one stock one modded. the modded one is my buddies. shit is disgusting, 4gear pulls people dont want to mess with him. he told me he has almost everything on his car thats available, his srt4 caliber is nasty. i love driving in it because people look at him like wtf? and when he gets tires in a 40 roll they know he's nothing to mess with. no joke

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.