DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cruise is not holding steady speed. It will grab, but then it will slowly lose my set speed. And the resume feature is not working at all. I've checked all my vacuum lines, and there are no leaks to be found. I took the module out from under the battery, and disassembled it, and found that there are 3 mini solenoids in its own little vacuum manifold, and I have a feeling that one or all of them are not working. Now to find out why...........The diaphragm in the module holds. I do have vacuum (and plenty of it) down to the module. And yes, my cruise control green light is on on my steering wheel button. My question is: is one of the speed sensors connected to this module? I read somewhere that one of the speed sensors "talks" to this module to keep steady speed. Anybody got any clues on this?
Abe
'97 1500 extended cab 2 wheel drive 5.9L automatic

·
Ty
74 Posts
I am a retard, and know nothing, but just to fire ideas out there... Have you tested your TPS? My cruise was having problems, not like yours, but problems none the less. It was the TPS.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update on this: I bench tested each solenoid after work tonight. One is dead, one is weak.
abe

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installed the servo tonight. Works like it's supposed to.
BTW--the speed control sensor on the tailshaft housing on the tranny talks to the servo to keep constant speed.
abe

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've got a problem with my cruise as well. It used to work intermittently but nothing at all now. I did replace the vacuum line from the TB to the cruise control unit but it is still not working. How do you 'bench test' it to see if the solenoids are bad? Do you have any pics?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm assuming that you have the green light on your steering wheel, signaling that you have juice flowing to the servo. To take the servo out, just undo with a 10mm socket the 3 screws holding it in place. Unplug the elec. connector, unplug the vacuum hose, and undo the 10mm nuts holding the throttle housing in place, then pull the pin out of the cable. (to make it easier to do, take your battery and battery tray out first. I've done it both ways, and the second time I left the battery and tray intact. It's really a tradeoff.) Once you have it on your workbench, mark which way things go, and take the small cover off of the solenoid. Pry the solenoid pack out. Now you're looking at 3 mini solenoids. The 'bottom' prong is the ground, so using your battery and small jumpers just ground the bottom prong, and touch each of the remaining 3 prongs (be careful!) with the live jumper and you ought to see each solenoid activate. On mine, one was weak and one was dead. At that point, I knew I had a defective unit. A new unit is relatively inexpensive.
abe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.