Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Creating an Avatar Using the DodgeTalk Gallery

Since "how do I get an avatar" is a very commonly asked question around here, I thought I'd post some instructions on how to create your own custom Avatar, using the pics you already have posted in the DT gallery.

First of all, what is an Avatar? An avatar is the small image that appears below your username and just above your custom user title and location. For new members, that title will read "Registered User" by default. Your Avatar will appear beside every post you make on the forums.

To create an avatar using one of the pics you have in the DT Gallery, first you have to create a Gallery! In case you missed it, here is Sapper85's detailed post on how to create a Gallery on DodgeTalk:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22511

Now to the avatar........

First be aware that it takes a day or so to get pics approved in the Gallery. So if you just uploaded them, check back tomorrow. If they are already approved, now youre ready to follow these steps to create your Avatar.

1. Go to the main index of the Gallery and click the link that says "My Gallery" to view your own Gallery index.

2. Viewing the index of your gallery, you will see 100x100 "thumbnail" images of all the photos you have in there.

3. Choose the photo that you want to appear as your Avatar, and right click on it.

4. A menu should have just popped up. Scroll down to the last item on the menu which is "Properties" and click it.

5. A box that says "Properties" just popped up. In the middle of that box is the URL (actual web address) of that small 100x100 image in the thumbnail gallery. That image is EXACTLY the right size to be your avatar!

6. Now you need to copy that URL. First, right click your mouse right over the URL. Another menu just popped up. Scroll down to "Select all" in the menu and click it. Now, right click your mouse over the URL once more, and select "Copy" from the menu. Then click "Ok" on the Properties box to make it go away. You have now successfully copied the web address of that 100x100 thumbnail image!

7. Now it's time to make that image your new Avatar. At the top of the DodgeTalk index select "Control Panel". This is your personal control panel where you can adjust many settings for your DodgeTalk account. On the left column you should see a link for "Edit Avatar". Click this.

8. The "Edit Avatar" page is now showing. About half way down the page, there is a blank line for the URL to your avatar. Simply paste the URL you copied to that line.

9. At the bottom of the page, select "Save Changes" to complete the process.

That's it! Youre done, and the image from your gallery is now appearing as your Avatar beside every post you make!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
:tup: Sweet! that'll definatly help alot of people out.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Nice Job Free!!!!!!!

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
I just wondered how long you remain a "Registered User". Is it post related or time related or just changes whenever. I don't mind just when and how it changes. Thanks.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rtes said:
I just wondered how long you remain a "Registered User". Is it post related or time related or just changes whenever. I don't mind just when and how it changes. Thanks.
rtes, "Registered User" is just the default setting that all members have when they join. You can change that title to whatever you want. Go to your Control Panel. Then on the left side of your screen, click on "Edit Profile". On the Profile screen, go to "Custom User Title" and put whatever you want in that line. Then click on "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page.:)

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
I think that option appears after 20 post or so? Something around there...

·
Living in my own world
449 Posts
Mine came out really small

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bump for newbies!

·
Registered
74 Posts