DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is this thing gonna kill my truck, on this setting, how does it work, is it nuts, just plain crazy, would like to hear from people who have used it
thanks mike

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
what the hell you talking about.... :huh: :dunno:

·
Registered
100 Posts
4404spd said:
what the hell you talking about.... :huh: :dunno:
:thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny
I agree!?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i guess unless you have a diesel you wouldn't understand, the bully dog programmer w/ crazy larry

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Yea, Im pretty curious too!

·
David-2001 Ram Off-Road
2,857 Posts
http://www.truckxpressions.com/articles/article_bully_dog.html
Let the Black Smoke Roll: Turn Your Diesel into a Beast with Bully Dog
11/30/2005
Johnny T. Rucker, Contributing Columnist

In the past few years, diesel performance has become an enormously popular market trend. Diesel owners have become some of the most modification-happy folks on the planet, and for good reason. Diesel engines, though already chocked full of horsepower and torque, make excellent platforms for performance modifications from mild to wild. Diesel trucks are workhorses, just like their owners, and have always thrived in the heavy duty towing marketplace. Whether pulling a flatbed trailer full of construction equipment, a horse trailer full of thoroughbreds, or an enclosed trailer full of racing gear, chances are that if the job requires pulling a heavy load, a diesel is the way to do it.

With the emergence of diesel performance enhancements that can be achieved by the everyday truck enthusiast, diesel powered trucks have become just as popular at car shows and drag strips as on construction sites. Enter: The Downloader.

With the emergence of downloadable performance programs via handheld programmers and vehicle computer ports, it's now easier than ever to crank up the power and torque in your diesel. Bully Dog Diesel has been a player in the diesel performance market for some time, but new this fall, they have raised the bar on the industry with their Triple Dog Power Pup series of downloaders.

The Triple Dog Power Pup:

One handheld downloader handles the three most popular diesel platforms on the market today: 03+ Dodge Cummins, 03+ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke, and 01+ GM Duramax. You read correct - One part number handles them all.

This downloader offers the industry's very latest technology for your diesel, with a ton of added features. The Triple Dog Power Pup is completely internet upgradeable, so once you have purchased and installed the program on your truck, drivers have the ability to plug their downloader into their home computer via a USB cable and download updates to their program from the Bully Dog website as they are released. Pretty cool, huh?

Also a nice feature, the downloader is adjustable on the fly. With the handheld programmer plugged into your truck's computer port, you can change the performance settings on the fly. When you couple the programmer with one of Bully Dog's Outlook In-Cab Performance Monitors, you can make these adjustments on a LCD touch screen without having the handheld programmer connected. The Outlook Monitor takes priority access of your engine and gives you control over your vehicle's power levels at the touch of a finger. It also allows you to set the emergency de-fueling point based on exhaust gas temperatures. When the temperatures reach your set levels, the monitor will automatically de-fuel and prevent excessive exhaust gas temperatures. Very safe, and very cool.

With gas prices like they are, one feature that allows the Triple Dog to pay for itself is improved fuel economy. Even though the downloader increases the horsepower and torque of your vehicle, it causes your engine to burn fuel more efficiently, which in turn improves your fuel economy. That translates into more bucks in your pocket for more diesel mods!

Did I mention that the Triple Dog is completely transferable? Since one part handles three different diesel platforms, if you trade trucks you can take your programmer with you, whether you go to a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.

I've mentioned all of these great features, but we haven't even got to performance yet. So, what can Bully Dog do for your diesel? After all, the whole point here is to let the black smoke roll and unleash the beast inside a diesel engine, right? The bottom line from Bully Dog is that you'll immediately notice bone-jarring increases in horsepower and torque. The downloader gives you three settings: Tow, Performance, and Extreme.

Performance gains in the Dodge Cummins range from 66 to 140 horsepower and 95 to 209 ft lbs of torque!

Performance gains in the Ford Power Stroke range from 58 to 107 horsepower and 79 to 156 ft lbs of torque!

Performance gains in the GM Duramax range from 40 to 106 horsepower and 75 to 213 ft lbs of torque!

If you truly want something wild and those numbers aren't enough power for your liking, Bully Dog owners have the option of replacing the "Extreme" setting with a new "Crazy Larry" setting. The Crazy Larry setting must be downloaded into the programmer via the Bully Dog website after you purchase, because it requires the signing of a disclaimer on account of the enormous power gains. It's called the Crazy Larry for a reason; Many of the most hardcore diesel performance fanatics want to push the envelope of sanity and the Crazy Larry setting is the way to do it!
The diesel performance market has never seen the likes of such a complete package, introduced at the SEMA show this fall by Bully Dog for the holiday shopping season. The Triple Dog Power Pup and the Outlook In-Cab Monitor is sure to be the hot ticket for diesel performance in 2006, so if you've got a diesel and you want to shake the pavement, pick up a Triple Dog Power Pup from Bully Dog and let the black smoke roll!

Copyright © 2005 TruckXpressions.com

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Cool!

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
ok, now i understand ! :D

·
Retired Guy
1,239 Posts
do it and post a video please please please......

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Moved to the diesel forum where you will get the responses you want. A few guys on here have had CL on their CTD's.

·
OH Snap!
503 Posts
What year truck? The turbo's on the 04.5+ are pretty tough and do ok but arent totally up to the task of cooling that much fuel. The tranny, will die. You might be able to get away with it for awhile if you take it easy but who's gonna take it easy with an extra 180hp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it is for my 06' and wouldn't use CL very offten, so i say, would have to upgrade tranny, seems like an easier way to get to 550hp rather then a twin turbo

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
bigpak said:
it is for my 06' and wouldn't use CL very offten, so i say, would have to upgrade tranny, seems like an easier way to get to 550hp rather then a twin turbo
I've never had the CL, but I doubt you would see 550 with just that program. Tranny would be a MUST, but I don't know that I would want to run that extreme of a setting with everything else stock. You'll break something.

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
sorry for adding nothing here as far as real knowledge (I have a 5.7) but I'd love something in my truck to be associated with a "crazy larry" ahaha that is great. Maybe superchips can do a Psycho Sam or something :thatfunny

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Crazy Larry is indeed crazy, but it gets hot VERY quick. 5" exhaust, intake, and a bigger turbo are needed to run a 0-100. By 60mph my 1600 degree gauge was pegged.

It is crazy though, and extremely fun to run on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ive heard both ways

ive heard if you have the right intake kit and injectors then no it wont i have the bully dog too but i havent messsed with the crazy larry yet but if i do it before you i sure will let you know

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
That program is great for fun but the high rail pressure will kill your injectors eventually.. Remember, when your crap breaks because of a downloader, the dealer will know about it.... I stick with plug in boxes that can be removed.....

I agree that you must have all the supporting mods in order to get the full dose of the CL. Lots of guys stacking it with the TST..

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
we have tried the crazy larry in a new 2006 LLY with the new tranny and we have tried it in a 2006 cummins, and all i have to say is we took out cars that ran 14s with the dmax and the cummins make its own rain cloud of unburnt diesel

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.