DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just took a trip and calculated my MPG and I am only getting 12 MPG...why?

Is there anything I can do to increase my MPG?

Sorry, its an 02 Dakota QC 3.7L or 3.9L whichever....

·
Registered
35 Posts
New plugs, air filter, cap, rotor. even wires, Fuel injestor cleaner. How many miles on your Dak? What size tires are you running? Is your truck the quad cab do you have a box cover of any type?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
47K miles and I have the tires that the dealership put on.
It is a Quad Cab and I have a toolbox..thats it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
miscalulation, I notice with my 02 that when the fuel gage so low it doesn't even move at start up it still has about 4 gallons in the tank. the best way to calucate the fuel milage is to fill up and set the trip odo. then next time you fill up note how many miles you have gone and then calulate that against how much fuel you put in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Part of the problem is the wimpy 3.7 V-6

My 95 got horrible mileage, My 01 QC 4.7 gets 14.5 in town, about 17 highway and I drive it. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a o1 DAkota, regular cab, with a 3.9Lv6. It has a auto trans, with 16 rims, stock. I figured out with my truck, that when the gas light comes on it has 1/8 of a tank left. It has a 22 gallon tank. I cam up with 16 mpg. I only get 320 on a tank. Part of my problem is that it has a 8 1/4 rear with 3:55. Can i enstall 2:56 gears? Also what would be the cost for the gears? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What I did was put in a CAI, exhaust, Amsoil 0-30 and a soft bed cover. All total I may have picked up about .5 to 1 MPG. Chrysler-Daimler's engine managment system actually fights engine efficiency. If you add a mod that gives HP the computer will actually retard the engine to make sure you don't make any more horses! To see a real gain in HP and gas milage you will have to spring for a Superchips Power Programmer. When I installed it, I immidiately picked up somwhere between 4 to 5 MPG as well as a stronger running engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mopar89ram said:
I have a o1 DAkota, regular cab, with a 3.9Lv6. It has a auto trans, with 16 rims, stock. I figured out with my truck, that when the gas light comes on it has 1/8 of a tank left. It has a 22 gallon tank. I cam up with 16 mpg. I only get 320 on a tank. Part of my problem is that it has a 8 1/4 rear with 3:55. Can i enstall 2:56 gears? Also what would be the cost for the gears? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
If you changed to 2.56 gears (not sure they make them) you would lose mpg around town and most likely even combination city and hwy. If you only drive freeways you might gain a bit, but your bottom end would really suck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kalif Kota,
I have the so called wimpy 3.7L and my gas mileage is 17 city and 20 highway so I don't believe that is the problem. By the way it is a 2004 club cab 4X4 manual transmission with 3.92 rearend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.