DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back I entered a question on this forum about end-play on the crankshaft thrust bearings for my 87 Ram Chrgr 318. Dodge mechanic said I was triple tolerance on the shaft, frontward and backward, when he replaced a leaking crankshaft seal. That was 7000 miles ago. At that time mechanic said I wouldn't make it another 1000 miles without seizing the thrust bearings. Now I'm not so sure. I'm using a quart of oil every 1200 miles, which I think is pretty good for 323,000 miles without any heavy engine work at all. And, I hear no rattles/knocking from the engine as I accelerate or decelerate. I feel some play in the drive train but believe that's just backlash and not crankshaft-bearing-related. So, question is, shouldn't I have SOME symptoms of worn out thrust bearings before I seize-up on the road??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Simple way to tell if your trust bearing,which is the center main bearing is bad is to crank the truck and let it idle,now rev the motor and watch the harmonic balancer,if it moves in and out then the trust bearing is crap,if it does not then you are fine,and the trust bearing has nothing to do with oil use,waynebo

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.