Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4.7 L V-8 55,000 miles lives in Michigan
After stalling out at the gas pump and getting a check engine light. I went to autozone for a free code check. Check light showed error for the crank position sensor. So I bought one for $30. Thought I could change it out in 30 minutes. No way. Due to several Michigan winters corrosion built up around the sensor bore preventing it from being pulled out. I tried prying the sensor out, but it quickly broke off flush with the block. Now what?
I drilled a 3/16" hole (12" long drill bit) into the sensor (use the new sensor to measure so you don't drill all the way thru about 1.25") and installed a 1/4" lag bolt. Still unable to extract the sensor due to the corroison. I was able to access the sensor from the RH wheel well with the wheels turned to the full left or tire removed. I removed the lag bolt and tapped the sensor back into the bore. Then I used a my dremel tool with a 511E EZ Lock Finishing 180 Abrasive Buff. The buff just happens to be about the same size as the sensor bore. It was a little hard to get started in the bore, but eventually I was able to remove the corroison with the buff. Then I reinstalled the lag bolt sprayed on some penetrating oil and the sensor pulled out. Thought someone else could benefit from my experience. I started this job on Monday and finished it on Wednesday. Probably worked and thought about it for 8-10 hours.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.