DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with the V6. The previous owner decided to crank up the torsion bars for whatever reason so now the front of the truck sits much higher than the back and is extremely stiff. How do I put them back in the factory setting? Thanks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It's as simple is crawling under there and "uncranking" the torsion bars. Depending on how long its been cranked up you should be able to look at the bolt and get a pretty good idea where it was previosly. I do recommend a big breaker bar or impact wrench to do the work though cause it takes some power to get that nut to turn.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
I would strongly advise jacking up the front end to adjust the torsion bar bolts. It is difficult enough to turn the bolts when there is no load on the front end.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, what a difference putting the torsion bars back in their factory settings makes. The front end must have been jacked up almost 4 inches. I put the truck up on jackstands and used an impact wrench to turn the bars back to where they were originally. It feels like a Caddy compared to before! Thanks for the replies, they helped a lot! :cool:

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
If you are lowering them, you are supposed to crank down 1 revolution past your final adjustment location and then tighten them back up 1 revolution. Not entirely sure why, but that is the procedure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.