DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sounds like an electrical issue? After the first time it wouldn't start, it seemed like a fuel pump issue. There were no codes thrown. It worked fine for a day or two then same symptoms. According to the mechanic, the TIPM could be bad and this is a known common issue. So common that there's a part available from Dodge to bypass the TIPM. Well they installed this bypass and it worked just fine for two weeks. No issues at all. Then, all of a sudden, it cranks but no start. It sounds like its trying to start but it's not getting fuel. They replace the fuel pump again, saying it's possible the other fuel pump was defective. The claim they test the fuel pump to confirm it was the issue. So now they've installed a second fuel pump. I picked it up yesterday. Started it once in the morning go to the gym, started it to go back home, started it to go to the office, then when I tried to leave, it cranks but doesn't start. Starting to appear its not a fuel pump issue.

Is it pump there's an electrical issue sending too much power to the fuel pump causing it to go bad? What else could be the issue? Why would it work fine for a day or two, maybe a bit longer, then go bad again?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update. Still having the same issue. Installed a refurbished TIPM and I got about 5 cranks out of it before it repeated the crank no start. I installed the refurb TIPM Tuesday night, got it started a handful of times, drove it around the neighborhood and everything seemed fine. Got up the next morning (Wednesday) and crank no start had returned. Tried it a few times and same issue. Went to work, came home yesterday evening and it started on the first crank. Turned it off, waited an hour or two and it started just fine again. Today, Thursday morning, crank no start. Cannot figure out what is happening. I did have 12V at the fuel pump fuse.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. I have not been able to find one online. What is the path of power from the battery to the fuse to the relay to the fuel pump. I know that there are bypass cables that exist but I've been told they don't work on 2009-2010 Dodge Rams based on how the relay and fuse are wired in relation to the TIPM. Any ideas? Are there other electrical components that could interfere outside of the fuse, relay, TIPM, and fuel pump. Saw somewhere that someone said maybe the ECM/PCM could be faulty. It's just strange that the problem is intermittent. I was thinking it could be a faulty wire, but wouldn't that fail while driving? I've never had an issue while driving, only at the crank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts