DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 600 miles on the new 4.56 gears I had installed and changed the fluid like Motive recommended after 500.

After I got the cover off, I noticed one of the teeth on the ring-gear was broken off! It looks like it's just the one gear tooth. Is this normal?? Also, is this something I should be worried about? Everything else looked ok.

I included a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

WrEcKeR~DuDe

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's not broken, it has been shaved. Most shops have to shave down a tooth or two to get the cross pin back in when installing 4.56 or 4.88 gears. It is very common and doesn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhhhhh. Ok. Just wondering. Was a little worried there.

:dtrocks:

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
I shoulda took some pics, but my installer shaved a little off of the non-locking side of the pin.....

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
My gear guy did NOT shave the gear but he did shave the pin... Personaly I like the idea of shaving the pin... when you shave the gear you create ALLOT of heat which can cause the metal to become brittle. Here is a picture...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
985 Posts
airram, what am i looking at? help me out :)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
You are looking at the rectangular pin in the center that is ground down a little to allow it to fit with the thicker gears.

Mine has the back of the tooth shaved a little. It not in the contact area and should not produce any heat.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
kenihemi said:
You are looking at the rectangular pin in the center that is ground down a little to allow it to fit with the thicker gears.

Mine has the back of the tooth shaved a little. It not in the contact area and should not produce any heat.
What he said.

That pin in the center was ROUND. You can see that the surface has been shaved flat to allow it to pass by the ring gear. Also look at both sides of the pin and you can see the surface that the axles contact are not altered... thats the trick... you need to shave the correct surface. The great thing about doing it this way... if you F up the pin.... you can get a new one for less than 5.00... but if you F up the ring gear then your looking at spending allot more than that.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
AIR_RAM said:
What he said.

That pin in the center was ROUND. You can see that the surface has been shaved flat to allow it to pass by the ring gear. Also look at both sides of the pin and you can see the surface that the axles contact are not altered... thats the trick... you need to shave the correct surface. The great thing about doing it this way... if you F up the pin.... you can get a new one for less than 5.00... but if you F up the ring gear then your looking at spending allot more than that.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
That's what I was trying to say, lol. My pin is shaved much the same as Nick's. Same area (not the contact area, otherwise you'll toss your c-clips when the axle shafts slide inwards), but I don't think my installer had to shave as much off.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
kruser79 said:
That's what I was trying to say, lol. My pin is shaved much the same as Nick's. Same area (not the contact area, otherwise you'll toss your c-clips when the axle shafts slide inwards), but I don't think my installer had to shave as much off.
Yeahh, My truck was the First 3rd Gen Ram Jason ever did gears on... Since then Jason at Texas Drivetrain Pperformance has done at least 60-70 Rams... He just eyeballed it and shaved a good chunk off... But hey, it works as advertised.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
When they did my install (RV, 4X4, and Performance Auto in Mechanicsburg, PA), they called and said it wouldn't fit. I forgot ALL about the pin shave and FREAKED! Even rushed to my 'puter at work and posted a rush thread. You know, the one that starts out "Help! XXXXX won't fit!"
Then I remembered the shave-job, calmed down and called Rich back to tell him how all the DT'ers did it.

Whew! :D

·
Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound
2,277 Posts
kruser79 said:
When they did my install (RV, 4X4, and Performance Auto in Mechanicsburg, PA), they called and said it wouldn't fit. I forgot ALL about the pin shave and FREAKED! Even rushed to my 'puter at work and posted a rush thread. You know, the one that starts out "Help! XXXXX won't fit!"
Then I remembered the shave-job, calmed down and called Rich back to tell him how all the DT'ers did it.

Whew! :D

Thats sad when you have to tell a professional how to do his job.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kruser79 said:
Ok. You guys can stop now! Your NOT making me feel any better!!!!

I don't know why my guy did it that way, shaving the actual ring gear, but he races a top-fuel dragster every weekend, so I guess he trusts it???

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WrEcKeRDuDe said:
shaving the actual ring gear, but he races a top-fuel dragster every weekend, so I guess he trusts it???
Or else, has PLENTY of money to fix it when it blows! Maybe he had me confused for someone with a lot of money!!!
;)

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
mheideman said:
Thats sad when you have to tell a professional how to do his job.
Well thats not a fair statement. Our 9.25 rears are NOT the largest and when you toss in a 4.56+ ratio you get a ring gear that is REAL FAT/THICK. So I would venture to guess that not all shops have experienced such a situation... there is a first time for everything. Many shops shave the gears... because they never heard of shaving the pin... BUT Im willing to bet as soon as they learn of shaving the pin to get them installed they will in most cases shave the pin from that point on...

I would not worry either way... The area they shave on the tooth is NOT a contact area... so in reality it should not matter...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Shaving the back corner of the tooth is no problem at all.

I was there when he did the contact pattern check on the gears with the die and the shave is far away from it.

I've also changed the diff fluid after 500o miles on the diff and no signs of any problems and I put some power to that shaved gear.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
My Dad raced a NHRA G/MP 67 Chevelle with a destroked 277 small block,with this engine he would launch at 9500 rpms and the engine was capable of well over 10,000 rpm,in his class against some heavy hitting big blocks he needed all he could with his 4speed tranny and decently heavy car with small engine.........he ended up running a 6.XX gear and had to literally machine 2 center pins length wise in half so that 2 separate slices were used......this was because the ring gear was so thick..........slide one half in,rotate,slide next half in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. I feel a LOT better now.

:D

:dtrocks:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.