DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys,
I finally have all of my audio equipment (minus the subs & amp for the subs)

Speakers Front - Boston Acoustic SL95
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?ProductID=263&CategoryID=14

Speakers Rear - Boston Acoustics SL65
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?ProductID=265&CategoryID=14

Amp - MB Quart RAA4200
http://www.mbquart.com/2003/en_US/p...erence series amplifiers&strt=1&model=RAA4200

H/U - Alpine CDA-7894
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xzelRtjzUps/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=500CDA7894

I just have a few questions. I have been told that I should use 2 ga wire for the amp, but I was under the impression that 4 ga would be fine. THat is what I used in my last setup. Should i in fact use 2 ga? or is my friend blowing smoke.
Second does anyone know any good installers in the St.Louis area by chance?

I will post pics after i get it installed.
I am leaning towards the center console sub, but have not decided on that for sure as of yet.

THanks, Brian

· Registered
48,548 Posts
its a 200 w rms amp you will be fine with 4 guage. now that being said think ahead. you want to add subs and another amp think how much power you will do on the sub amp. I believe you are good with up to 800 watts total power with 4 guage. you might want them to wire a splitter in the line as well so they will only have to come off that with your new power wire to your second amp when you get it. Oh and you only need 8 guage off the splitter to that amp im sure as I an running a 200w rms amp and that is what was recommended from the company that makes the amp. the 4 guage is so you dont loose power on the long run to the amps. good luck with it and hope this helped. Here is my set up

Attachments

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Craig,
Nice setup you have there.

· Registered
2,406 Posts
Yes 4 gage is fine for the amp you have......When you add the sub amp I would add its own 4 gage wire to the system.......Or use 1/0 now so you will have enough umph for later

· Registered
3,207 Posts
While you're on the subject, I just ordered the rest of the stereo stuff in my wishlist.
When I installed the HU, speakers and the first amp, I used 4 gauge pwr wire. Now with the other amp, will I be alright to put a splitter in front of the first amp and run pwr to both that way? If so, should I use 4 gauge again or will it be alright to use 8 gauge? If I am going to have to test this on a decible meter to notice a difference, I would prefer to install it this way as it will be alot easier. Thanks

· Registered
48,548 Posts
yellowbee said:
While you're on the subject, I just ordered the rest of the stereo stuff in my wishlist.
When I installed the HU, speakers and the first amp, I used 4 gauge pwr wire. Now with the other amp, will I be alright to put a splitter in front of the first amp and run pwr to both that way? If so, should I use 4 gauge again or will it be alright to use 8 gauge? If I am going to have to test this on a decible meter to notice a difference, I would prefer to install it this way as it will be alot easier. Thanks
casey It all depends on the power of your amps up to 800w rms for all amps added up you should be fine with 4 guage split to 2 8 gauge to your amps that is how my system is run and I have no lights that dim and I am not running a capacitor. these guys that run 0 guage or 2 guage are over kill unless they are running compitition amps that are like 1000 w and up.

· Registered
2,406 Posts
dale3fan3 said:
casey these guys that run 0 guage or 2 guage are over kill unless they are running compitition amps that are like 1000 w and up.
No, its not over-kill.......#1 amp failure industry wide is the power supply blowing up.

Why, not enough power to the amp......lower volts = more current for the same power. The smaller the wire the more the voltage drop.....

4 gage is the minimum recommended size for even a "small" 300 watt amp if run from the battery back but can be used on a total system power of 500 watts. (so two 250 watt or one 500 watt total would work)

4 gage will only handle about 60 amps continuous. 8 gage will only do about 24 amps continuous. (over a 17 foot run)

Why not let the system work the best, run 0 gage at first and you will not have to upgrade or re-run new wire for the system as you find out you want more power or amps.

· Registered
2,406 Posts
Here.....make it easy.............read your owners manual....what is the minimum size wire it says to run?

and remember this:

3 8 gage wires = 1 4 gage wire
3 4 gage wires = 1 2 gage wire
3 2 gage wires = 1 0 gage wire

go here -----> http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm for the recommend power to wire (hint, use the power transmission colume)

· Registered
3,207 Posts
Thanks guys, it just pisses me off. When I went into the stereo shop here for an amp kit and speaker wire I told them I'd be adding another amp and sub, I even told them the exact equiptment! The guy told me 4 gauge would work fine, so I installed it. Then the other day I went in to get a splitter and whatever else I needed and I talked to a diffferent guy, and guess what, he said I'd prolly want to upgrade my power wire to 0 gauge.... :VHOT: THIS is why I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer, nothing can ever be easy, even when I try to plan ahead! :bawl: I'll let you know how I decide to do it. And thank you both for the advice.

· Registered
48,548 Posts
Load Carrying Capacities (see table below)
The following chart is a guideline of ampacity or copper wire current carrying capacity following the Handbook of Electronic Tables and Formulas for American Wire Gauge. As you might guess, the rated ampacities are just a rule of thumb. In careful engineering the insulation temperature limit, thickness, thermal conductivity, and air convection and temperature should all be taken into account. The Maximum Amps for Power Transmission uses the 700 circular mils per amp rule, which is very very conservative. The Maximum Amps for Chassis Wiring is also a conservative rating, but is meant for wiring in air, and not in a bundle. For short lengths of wire, such as is used in battery packs you should trade off the resistance and load with size, weight, and flexibility. AWG gauge Diameter Inches Diameter mm Ohms per 1000 ft Ohms per km Maximum amps for chassis wiring Maximum amps for power transmission

CHASIS TRANSMISSION
0ga 245 150

1ga 211 119

4ga 135 60

8ga 73 24

ok by reading this what I told yellowbee is ok because his truck is not wired in a bundle and also look at whats in bold very very conservative and also conservative rating. I have never run anything more then 4 guage on any set up I have installed in any of my vehicles and have never had a problem. and Ive run 3 amps in the past. not compitition amps but still power. that being said I have run my system at moderate sound to va beach which is a 6 hour drive no problems I just got back from NY another 6 hour drive with the stereo kicking at least at 3/4 and no problem . If I was running under powered my amps would have klipped from running hot! I am not trying to get into a pissing match with you drakos just letting people know what worked for me. :gr_patrio

· HEMI
3,071 Posts
yellowbee said:
Thanks guys, it just pisses me off. When I went into the stereo shop here for an amp kit and speaker wire I told them I'd be adding another amp and sub, I even told them the exact equiptment! The guy told me 4 gauge would work fine, so I installed it. Then the other day I went in to get a splitter and whatever else I needed and I talked to a diffferent guy, and guess what, he said I'd prolly want to upgrade my power wire to 0 gauge.... :VHOT: THIS is why I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer, nothing can ever be easy, even when I try to plan ahead! :bawl: I'll let you know how I decide to do it. And thank you both for the advice.
look you want good true unbaised advice and opinions go to www.the12volt.com. those guys are true audiophiles and will have good advice there. plus they got alot of tutorials and such good site for audio. and they really know what they are talking about.

· Registered
2,406 Posts
Your right......we are not going to get into a pissing match......and yes those are guildlines on the wires based upon continuous power use hanging in the air (not under carpet).

And yes, a few people are doing just fine with wires too small.

But, posting information that may cause damage to a vehicle, equipment, or person just because it has been done with no problems by others dose not mean it is right.

· Registered
2,406 Posts
sorry Cj.....did not know I got your post too.....only meant to get the "pissing contest" stuff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.