DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here as you can tell. been reading around for a while though.

I've got a 2000 dakota SLT with a 45RFE (I'll be doing the TCM swap to 545RFE in a month or so, I don't really care if I get a MIL and my gear selector boxed in.), 3.91 gears, 4wd, and a open rear end. I have dragged it down abandoned roads before, not all that much (probably about 15 passes)...now onto my question..

So, a track near me is having a street car chaos on May 22nd, figured me and a bunch of friends would goto it.

I usualy launch in 4wd, and grab 2wd, I know it doesn't release till I get the torque off the drive shaft, but I just want it out of 4wd ASAP.

Now, my main question is, what type of "big issues" would I be expecting? I normally don't drive this truck hard, it's got 114k on it and for the most part is perfect. I've got some transmission isues but thats due to a valve body, which I'm putting in a shift kit for in 2 weeks to correct. (No shifting issues, just gets "stuck" in "no gear" when leaving N or D.) It's also taken care of perfectly, transmission flushes, oil, ect. The guy who owned the truck before me took it to the dealer and has all receipts, so I know he's not just pulling my chain with it.

I'm under the impression as long as you don't dog the thing around constantly, a few passes at the strip most likely won't cause any damage. and if it does it probably was coming anyway. But is there anything that should be screaming to me don't do it?

(I've got more than a few people telling me I'll spin a bearing or throw a driveshaft. They're really not mechanicly inclined people so I don't take them that seriously on saying itll happen within 3 passes. But it got me wondering if I was missing something.)

Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
344 Posts
I pretty much beat on mine every time I drive it. But the old saying still goes; "You have to pay to play"

Im fully aware that Im not easy on the little girl, and if she breaks, Im fully aware that I will have to foot the bill. I have yet to break anything. My compression is still excellent in my cylinders, and my tranny shifts fine. I could use a set of tires though...

These trucks are pretty bulletproof, aside from the ball joints on the 4x4s. The 4.7 is a stout little motor that loves to be revved, and will take it all day. Your tranny is also put behind the hemis.

As far as the launches go, I have no idea with a dak. Do em all the time with the cummins.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
well i would just check your 4x4 shifter linkage and make shure it still has the retaining clip on it cause mine didnt when i bought mine and luckly didnt find out it was missing till i got in my driveway. you should be good for the launches as long as you dont do it alot. i would try a test launch though just to see how far you need to get off the gas so you can make it back to 2wd with out brakeing the chain in your t case

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks for the replies.

Yeah, my clip is there still. I've launched in 4WD a few times now, and pretty much I've come to the conclusion i need to completely take my foot off the gas. So I usualy drop to N, shift tcase, grab D I can do it fairly quickly and I can feel it disengage faster than if i just lift my foot.

And yeah, I'm aware of the old saying, but you know...some cars just seem to have "that one problem" that always comes back to haunt them, I hadn't read about one with the 4.7/RFE but I wanted to double check it.

I also make sure, dead sure, I'm going in a perfectly strait line in 4WD. I know the tire size differences make a bit of a issue, but for less than 1/4 mile I don't see alot of harm (it'll die eventully, but I doubt <20 passes will kill it.

Anyhow, I gotta get some sleep. I appreciate this alot, just wanting to make sure nothings going to go boom if I make a few runs in one night/continue my behavior heh.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
yea no prob man. good luck at the races.

·
USAF MOPAR MILITARY BRAT
3,441 Posts
Hey Killer7, welcome to Dodgetalk!:gr_patrio Where ya at in Indiana?

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
When the part time transfer case does go, swap in an AWD one. You won't be missing anything and the traction will always be there without having to worry about shifting it. It nets the same fuel mileage and weighs about the same so it won't cost you anything at the track - especially not having to slow down to change the T case!

·
USAF MOPAR MILITARY BRAT
3,441 Posts
I'm up here in Cedar Lake,
bout 45 minutes out of Chicago if you've never heard of my hick town haha =]

Whew, you are way up there man!!:YO:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When the part time transfer case does go, swap in an AWD one. You won't be missing anything and the traction will always be there without having to worry about shifting it. It nets the same fuel mileage and weighs about the same so it won't cost you anything at the track - especially not having to slow down to change the T case!
I don't slow down to change the tcase at the track.
I just go till it ends. I was talking about on the road, let off to let it release. but I just keep it in a line, doesnt seem to fuss at me for it, but I'm sure with enough abuse I'll break just bout anything.

thanks for the AWD idea though, would be nice to "always" have it, do you happen to have a part# or something for me research on it? thanks =]

And yeah, I"m pretty far up north. sucks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.