Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06-08 ram 1500 hemi 5.7 mds odometer 95,201
connecting rod(s) bent due to sucking water from large puddle. Truck still runs fine but has severe racheting/knocking noise and no visible block damage.

Immediately after hydrolock occurred engine was shut down and only restarted for a few seconds momentarily to diagnose noise. And also to prevent any further damage.

Is it cost effective to r&r tear down and repair, or replace with salvage motor??

Any input or experience is greatly appreciated,
brandon l.

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
I had a friend that did that exact same thing. But he cracked the block with a rod. We had to get a new block and a new connection rod, and piston. We used everything else from the locked motor. Thing fired right up on the first turn. Was amazing. Was a great experience and didn't really cost much at all. Sorry, it's been like 4-5 years and I don't recall what the total cost was. But it was NOTHING compared to buying a new short block.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mike yes i feel lucky that no catastrophic damage happened to the block like that. But to have a shop remove & replace, plus opening up the bottom end i fear will cost me dearly. Unfortunately i dont think i have the tools or skills to attempt a repair this large im curious what sort of cost im up against.
Horrible air box design. i guarentee this will never happen again to my truck after this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.