DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03’ 2500 4x4 and will towing with it for the first time this weekend so it’s time to buy a ball mount. My question is how much drop should I get 2 or 4 inches? As you can guess I don’t own a trailer and the only time I expect to pull one is when I rent a tractor/bobcat (like this weekend) or the occasional utility trailer (u-haul). I really don’t want to buy more than one unless it is unsafe to use on a specific type of trailer.
I run stock tires and lift.

Thanks in advance for your help.

:help: :help: :help: :help:

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
I find that most trailers are within the 16" -18" height from the ground, both my tent trailer and utility trailer are in that range to tow nice and level. With the lift, you probably will need a 6" drop draw bar, Uhaul uses 2" ball for their trailers

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
i dont think he has a lift. he said stock tires and lift, which makes me think stock tires and suspension. if thats the case, a 2" drop may work. but if you are unsure, and plan to tow diff things from time to time you can get an adjustable hitch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the confusion.
I do have stock tires and suspension; I meant to say "no lift".
I was thinking a 2" would work and I might buy both and return the one that doesn't hold the trailer level.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Big P I tow an RV regularly, and I've never seen one of those. Thanks for your post and part number.....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Big P said:
Get one of these and forget about it. It's a Master Lock Adjustable Hitch. Part Number 2481AT
Receivers DO have a tow rating.......

To the original person - make sure whatever you buy has towing capacity to meet the needs of whatever you're towing!!

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
I have stock suspension and use a 4" drop drawbar. Check rating capacity on the drawbar and ball. both of mine are rated 6000 lbs

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
Big P said:
Get one of these and forget about it. It's a Master Lock Adjustable Hitch. Part Number 2481AT
those are nice and I am thinking of getting one my only prob I will warn you about is dont drop your tailgate the sure lool like it will hit the gate and put one hell of a dent in it and I like to leave my hitch in so in parking lots they hit that instead of my bumper hehe

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
if you have to use the trionion style hitch that adjustable one wont do you any good. it is a load level style hitch that keeps the wieght off the back of your truck and on the wheels of the trailer. you dont want to tow with all the tonge weight on your truck if your towing something heavy like a skid steer and trailer.level the trailer on the ground and measure to the top of the tonge , and put your truck on level ground and see where that measurment comes to that should tell you what kind of drop you need.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input, I ended up with a 4" drop.
Around town I didn't notice the 5,000 lbs was there but anything over 60mph and the trailer got a little squirrelly. When I got home I found the they had the tractor sitting way to far back and the tongue had no weight on it. When I loaded it up to return I placed it closer to the front and had no problems at 60+mph.

Thanks again for your help!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.