DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I have recently purchased a 1989 B250 road trek which I will be working on getting all up to spec to hopefully do some big trips in! Body is in great condition but engine has no paperwork so will be doing a full service and re build of what I can! The engine is the V8 318 5.2L

The first thing of many I will be trying to tackle is my temperature gauge which only just comes up above the C mark. Engine does not seem to run cool and the dash fans blow warm air after a few minutes of idle so I'm thinking the sender is my issue.

My radiator fan does come on straight from start up though, is this common or should is just kick in when required?

Can any one please tell me where the sender it's located, if its a pain to get to and what/if anything else needs to be removed to get at it, going to try and get it done soon but I have limited free time at the moment so trying to gauge how long it may take.

Many thanks, Matt

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe it is on the front right side of intake manifold by your water neck or Tstat housing, (looking in from front of vehicle)

·
Elder User
3,119 Posts
There could be a 2-wire one and a 1-wire one. If there is, the 1-wire sender is for the dash gauge and the 2-wire one is for the ECM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help on this, discovered the one wire one hiding near the alternator. I have been trying to find it as my temp gauge has been reading on C all the time despite the engine getting hot.

I replaced the sensor (pain in the ass) and checked the resistance on the new sensor =0.03 at hot 2.15 at cold. When the gauge wire is earthed it goes upto Hot which would suggest that the gauge and wiring are ok but it still wont work with the new sensor and stays at C.

Im completely stuck now. I cut the connector off the wire to see if that was the fault but still getting nothing with direct wire contact on the sender.

Any ideas much appreciated!

·
Elder User
3,119 Posts
Are those sender ohm reading from bench testing or did you check it installed with the engine cold then hot?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The readings are from the gauge in the block, 2.13 dead cold. With the engine at idle after start up for 2-3mins reading 0.12 after a 25 minute drive reading at 0.03 and then after standing for a few minutes to cool down after the drive I took a further reading at 0.05 so the readings suggest the sensor is working and my coolant is heating up just nothing from the gauge. I did potentially think there could be a thermostat issue but this would rule that out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I am experiencing the same exact issue with my 1986 d150. Let me know if you figure anything out. I was about to change the temp sender myself but after reading this I may not as it sounds like it didn't help. Could it be the relay?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, I was never able to track it down. My gauge still just rises slightly when engine is warm. I have bought an aftermarket gauge which I will install when I get a chance.

I know that the sensor change has worked for others so it may still work for you. Good luck hope it works out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I noticed on mine there is thread tape, which I heard disrupts the ground. So hopefully a quick easy fix for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts