DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm sure this has been talked about a bunch, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find any solid answers. I have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 5.7 with 3.55 and was towing my tt thats about 4500lbs the other day and couldn't get my engine coolant temp below 215. The highest it would get was 225, but that was only when I was really pushing it and it would cool back down to 215 pretty quick. This does seem kinda high to me, though. My thermostat is a 203° so my question is, is this too high and would it be beneficial to get a 190° thermostat? I've heard mixed things cause some people argue that lowering the engine temp will effect the performance since the engine won't run at the temp that the PCM is programed to, and it seems a lot of people have the 190° thermostat from factory so I don't know if the temp I'm getting is too high or not. Thanks in advanced guys

·
Red Trucker
2,122 Posts
Too high no, you're within the range for towing but it would definitely wouldn't hurt to drop the stat a little. It's still gonna get hot enough, just the stat will open sooner. It's not like you have an electric fan to alter settings for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response hemiLonestar, and that is a good point about the fan. I think I'll go ahead and put a 192° tstat in and see how she does towing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts