2x overflow bottle empty

350 miles later, no heat, overflow empty, rad still full

No pressure, even WHen fully wArm.

Gauge never abovE 1/2, husualLy AT 1/4.

IdeAs?/

·
Registered
14 Posts
not familiar with dodge stratus at all, but my chevrolet malibu had coolant disappearing, noticed it when the heater was blowing cold air telling me the heater core was full of air

slowly and patiently added more coolant while it was cold

checked it couple days later and saw this
Hood Water Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

suspecting the water pump is seeping out coolant and the pulley happens to be spraying it on the return hose

most water pumps have a seep hole where they start leaking before they fail indefinitely

maybe the overflow bottle has a small hole? when you state "no heat" assuming you mean its not overheating?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not familiar with dodge stratus at all, but my chevrolet malibu had coolant disappearing, noticed it when the heater was blowing cold air telling me the heater core was full of air

slowly and patiently added more coolant while it was cold

checked it couple days later and saw this View attachment 630810

suspecting the water pump is seeping out coolant and the pulley happens to be spraying it on the return hose

most water pumps have a seep hole where they start leaking before they fail indefinitely

maybe the overflow bottle has a small hole? when you state "no heat" assuming you mean its not overheating?

Reply and update:

This condition only occurs after 30 - 40 minutes of idling or driving.

Coolant loss is approx 2 quarts/400 miles - but I have received a local suggestion.

Coolant flow is quite rapid, and it appears from the 1/8 - 1/3 on the temp gauge and my Napa parts manager that I may have a thermostat stuck open.

I added a water pump lubricant and no-clog leak fluid (Cummins engine certified) and topped up the radiator this morning, after allowing the system to "burp" overnight from the brake-style bleeder port located just below the top of the cylinder head at the thermostat lower housing.

So - I'm going to replace the thermostat this weekend, and again "burp" the system, and report back.

At that point, I'm going to drill a small hole in the plastic timing belt shroud carefully with a dremel grinder bit... and see if coolant comes out/emerges when the system is full

Thanks - and your suggestion is a good one. I've already budgeted the $515 to replace the dohc timing belt and water pump in the spring. If absolutely necessary I could scrimp come January/February and have the work done then.

John Hubertz
Indiana, USA
2002 Stratus 4 door, 2.4L dohc 115,000 miles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts