DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about my truck. I'm having to fill the coolant every 2 weeks or so because of a leak. Another thing is there is this peanut butter looking stuff in my oil cap but its not in my oil. I'm not sure if the two problems are linked or not. Please help me out. I'm a 16 year old and don't have enough money to take it to the mechanic again. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pull the Dipstick, if it looks like a chocolate shake, you have coolant in the oil.

Leave it too long and it will eat up crankshaft and bearings.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
The peanut butter on the oil cap is, I believe, fairly normal. The coolant loss is not. How much do you have to add every 2 weeks?

Check to see if you're actually losing oil, and if so, how much?

For the coolant drop, drive it around until it's good and warm (like after a long drive), park it, and see if you can spot any leaks dripping down from the undercarriage. Also check to see if you've got any white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. For some reason, I've seen several head gasket leaks pop up on the forum recently. It could be the weather, or maybe the gas being used.

Lastly, you can crawl under the truck and look for liquid trails anywhere. You can also look for oily residue anywhere in or around the block (like a stain on the metal). Touch it and see if it's oil if you spot any.

Hopefully you can find an external coolant leak. If it's internal, you're looking at $$$.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Chances are, you've just been taking too many short trips and condensation has built-up inside the block. Pull the PCV and tube then give both a good cleaning. When you’re done, a little trip on the highway would be some medicine for the engine.

:)

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Short trips and humidity causes the peanut butter. If coolants not externally leaking, you may have a head gasket going, if lucky maybe intake manifold

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay! so i checked the oil and looked for any leaks and i did not find any. but you said something about the white smoke coming out the exhaust, i DO have white smoke coming out.

ps thanks for helping me out.:worthy:

and im glad the peanut butter is normal!

·
Registered
22 Posts
That sounds like a head gasket is starting to go, not 100% sure, I do not know if the intake gasket could or would leak into a cylinder as I have not had an intake off yet.

It has not had a hard time starting? Hydra-Lock could be bad.

One of the Dodge Tech's can say for sure about intake gasket.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
If you think a head gasket might be a problem, you can get a test kit. The NAPA Cylinder Head and Block Test Kit with check for CO in your coolant.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so more then likely yall are thinking its my head gasket. My 5th cylinder is also i guess you would say miss firing? would that have anything to do with it? i tried getting to the cylinder but its cross threaded in there.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
ok so more then likely yall are thinking its my head gasket. My 5th cylinder is also i guess you would say miss firing? would that have anything to do with it? i tried getting to the cylinder but its cross threaded in there.
Oh crap. If you've got a serious misfire, that could change a lot. The head gasket might be the secondary problem. What engine are you running, and what year truck? We'd need to know that before throwing out any random guesses. Each engine has it's own "usual suspects". Either way, I'd probably get ready to spend a good chunk of change or park the truck and read up on how to fix it (once we figure out what it is). The parts for internal engine work sometimes aren't crazy expensive, but the labor costs get you.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
If you think a head gasket might be a problem, you can get a test kit. The NAPA Cylinder Head and Block Test Kit with check for CO in your coolant.

Costs about $30-40 at NAPA or you can order it online for a little more. It's incredibly easy to use and will tell you 100% if you've got hydrocarbons in your coolant (indicating an internal coolant leak). Internal coolant leaks are usually a worn, leaky, or completely blown head gasket. Everything else is pointing to the head gasket as one issue. The misfire might mean you've let it go too long without addressing it.

Also, has the truck every overheated, or run above the half way mark?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its a 2002 1500 2WD V8 4.7L and it HAS overheated. I was in Dallas and had to get home somehow so i stopped and grabbed some coolant.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
Its a 2002 1500 2WD V8 4.7L and it HAS overheated. I was in Dallas and had to get home somehow so i stopped and grabbed some coolant.
Ouch. The 4.7's really don't react well to overheating. The heads tend to warp. I'm not a professional, but it sounds to me like you may end up being better off with a new (used) motor. If the heads are warped, you'd need to replace them. If the block has been damaged, it's a goner. At this point, I'm out. I'd definitely pull the heads and check for piston damage. You'll need head bolts and a new head gasket at LEAST. If you don't know anyone that can help you with that, a head gasket replacement typically runs in the neighborhood of $1500-1800 with parts and labor (pretty labor intensive). If the heads are warped, you may be able to find a used set of stock 4.7 heads either in the classifieds here or on ebay type places. A new pair of heads is probably close to $1000 for the parts alone (I don't know on the 4.7s). At that point, you're already at $2500 and definitely in the range of a new motor.

Luckily there are a lot of members in the DFW area that are really good with dodge motors. You might be able to talk to one and get them to pitch in on the labor and save some money there. Fast4.7 swapped out his 4.7L to a hemi. If that route sounds appealing, you might get in touch with him. I don't know if he did the work himself or if he had help, but he'd know more about it. I think he lists his location as Euless. sawcut64 is another knowledgeable engine guy and he's in the Arlington area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay. well i think the cylenders were having problems before it started overheating. would that change anything? i dont think its a block problem because it runs to well and has no problems starting up. and a mechanic checked for a crack and he didnt seem to think it was cracked.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Ouch. The 4.7's really don't react well to overheating. ....

..... sawcut64 is another knowledgeable engine guy and he's in the Arlington area.
okay. well i think the cylenders were having problems before it started overheating. would that change anything? i dont think its a block problem because it runs to well and has no problems starting up. and a mechanic checked for a crack and he didnt seem to think it was cracked.
Talk to sawcut64 (Sam) and he can help. He did my cylinder heads and cams.

Sam just plain :rck:

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
I responded to your PM, then I came across this thread. Thinking your head gasket and probably head is jacked up...the 4.7's really don't like to be overheated. Good news is the last set of 4.7 rebuilt heads I replaced were $375 for a pair complete with new stock cams here locally in Mansfield. Regardless if it's just a head gasket or head itself this isn't a simple or easy fix. The 4.7 isn't like the Hemi with reusable O-ring type gaskets, so some of the gaskets will have to be replaced, and the chain tensioner gets super brittle with age and almost always shatters when you try and relieve tension. This is a bigger more involved project then a head swap on a Hemi.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
okay i contacted him. would he possibly know about the coolant leak too?
The coolant leak would be directly related to warped or cracked heads. The place they warp or crack is at the head gasket, and that would let the coolant into the combustion process. Sounds like Sam might have brought some good news. If you get out of this for under $1000 with labor, count your blessings.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.