·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up!
I havent been here in a while.
But I got this problem that is bugging me like crazy
because I cant figure it out.
about the end of january I had to replace the heater core.
and now the coolant leak came back but I dont think it is the
heater core this time. I can only find the coolant on the passenger
floor. The whole passenger floor carpet under the floor mat is soaked
with coolant, but I dont know where it is coming from?
I havent had time to pull the carpet yet.

-Jesse-
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 5.9L QC Shortbed

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sorry to say, the only place coolant can come from inside the cab is the heater core. The crap they sell these days gets cracked if you look at it sideways. The only hope is it is leaking at the hose connection and when hot, spraying onto the firewall and getting into the cab but one look at the firewall you can tell. If you had a shop do the work, take it back and see what warrantee they'll honor. Best luck-it would gripe the hell out of me, too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
see here this is where this sucks
i got the part from the dealer where i got
the truck 5 days before and had firestone
put the heater core in.
but i think the warranty only covers up to six months though.
but the only part of the carpet that is wet is under the floor mat
everywhere else is dry as can be.
i got the truck january 28th 2006

-Jesse-

·
Registered
266 Posts
I guess dry the mat and the floor and see if it comes back. You know it is coolant and not just water right? If its water different deal and much easier. Coolant stinks, especially in a closed cab. Almost will make you sick to smell it.b

·
Registered
266 Posts
I guess i'm missing something-does it smell like coolant or gatorade? Smell the coolant in the overflow tank under the hood and compare the odor with whats under the carpet. Not kidding, the smell is important- a green stain could be from a long time ago St. Patricks day beer. You had the heater core replaced a while ago. Did anyone clean up the mess under the carpet. Coolant will not dissapate quickly but I would think you would notice the odor hanging around for that long. Not trying to be a wise ass here, just trying to find out what you can tell us that will help us help you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the floor does not smell like coolant so im guessing it is water.
but where would water get into the cab at???

-Jesse-

·
Registered
266 Posts
OK! Now we're gittin somewhere! Two sources for water. Leaks, like around the windshield, cowling or door, but I think it may be your evaporator drain. When you use the A/C condensation builds up on the A/C evaporator inside the box under the passenger side dash. It is supposed to drain from the box thru a tube onto the ground. If you have been using your A/C and it is humid where you live a lot of water can accumulate and if the drain tube is plugged, it will fill up the box and leak out into the passenger side. You should be able to locate the drain tube under truck at the firewall passenger side. Its just a black rubber tube about 1/2 inch in diameter. Poke a wire up into it to clear any junk thats plugging it up. Should dump water quickly so watch your face. Other possibility, is when your heater core was replaced in that same area-they didn't reconnect the drain tube and so it dumps on the floor. Check it out and let us know. HTH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.