Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1988 W150 with a 318 and factory propane. I was driving the truck and noticed a massive cloud of white smoke. Assuming a blown head gasket I continued to drive until the temp just start to climb. When the temps started to rise I shut the truck off and got some water to top up the cooling system (only 4 miles from home). When I tried to restart the truck the engine was hydro-locked and would not turn. I removed the plugs and turned the engine over. Coolant shot out of what looks like 4 or 5 different cylinders. I have removed the propane system and opened up the vaporizer thinking that coolant may have entered the engine there. I found the gasket that seals the 2 parts of coolant housing in poor condition but I cannot see how coolant would enter the mixer from here. There is no signs of coolant in the mixer. I then removed the intake manifold. There is signs of coolant in the floor on the intake manifold but I cannot see any transfer from the coolant passages to the intakes at the intake manifold gaskets.

Should I continue with removing the heads. I would assume that a blown head gasket of cracked head would fill 1 or 2 cylinders on the same bank but not multiple cylinders. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
152 Posts
If it didn't come in from the intake then heads or block. You'll have to find the leak. Have you tried replacing gaskets on the intake & mixer? I'm with you both heads cracking or blown head gaskets isn't likely. I would carefully check manifold & mixer.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Pull the plugs and see if more than one is really clean... I know propane burns clean so this might not yield any results.
If enough water leaked into a single cylinder on the intake stroke it could be pushed into others when you cranked over.
Also hydrolocking usually bends rods so you might be better off with a replacement engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think what I will try next is to do a cold compression check. As of right now I have removed the manifold and if I find a bad hole cold I will remove that head. As far as the hydro-locking I don't think it will be a problem because it happened after I shut the engine off. The engine was shut off, sat for 20 minutes, I added water and tried to restart and no go. But I could turn the crank backwards by hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.