DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has this really nice car and he doesn't use it. It makes me sad to see something so beautiful sit a garage and slowly turn to nothing. I got my driver's lisence and I need help convincing my dad to let me have it. The problem is that I honestly think he loves that car more than ANYTHING or ANYONE!!! Any advice on how to get the car?

·
David-2001 Ram Off-Road
2,857 Posts
I'm curious, so here's a few questions for you to answer:

1. What kind of car is it?
2. Is it a rare car?
3. How long has he owned it?
4. Did he restore it?
5. Is it really fast?

Answer the above questions and you might see why he doesn't want to let you drive his car. What if you crashed the car? Would he ultimately "disown" you if you did? If so, to me it wouldn't be worth taking the chance. Also, if you have just gotten your license, he might be afraid for you to take it out.

Just be patient and get some driving experience under your belt, and this will lead to trust from your dad. In other words, if you have a "regular" car, take really good care of it, don't have any accidents, keep it clean, etc., your Dad is going to be much more likely to let you drive the car in the future.

By the way, this is only MY opinion, so take it for what it's worth. If I were in your shoes, I'm sure that I'd feel exactly the same way.

Also, welcome to Dodgetalk.com, the best automotive forum on the web!

Good luck-and post some pics of this car if you can (we love pics).

·
David-2001 Ram Off-Road
2,857 Posts
that_gurl_is_me said:
78 challenger, he and his friend restored it a LONG time ago. they found it in a junkyard and stuff. It is so beautiful.

I don't think I've ever seen one of those before:

Attachments

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
^and I don't think a 78 challenger could EVER be beautiful! lol

Honestly, not to be an ******* or anything else, but you probably belong in a regular car. lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it doesn't look like that. he told me it was a 78 but maybe he was wrong or i misheard him. I probably miss heard him. oh,damn my bad. I was WAY off on the year. it's a 70 plum crazy purple with a black leather looking roof. I probably do belong in a regular car. and the 78 is uglier than my cats crap. no offense to anyone who like them but eww gross. I don't know shit about cars. I am a girl so I probably am not quite worthy of the car yet, but i want it. I want it more than the air i breath.

Attachments

·
David-2001 Ram Off-Road
2,857 Posts
Wow-that IS a beautiful car!!!!!

I can't really blame your Dad-I don't think I'd let ANYONE drive it if I were him.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
Honestly, I think you should ask your dad if you and him could build yourself a car... That will help you learn and appreciate them... plus it would be much more rewarding to yourself to know you built it. And with a car like that, I wouldnt let ANYONE drive it if it was mine... of course, i dont let anyone drive my pickup! lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know!! It is brown because of all the dust covering it now. The tires are flat and the trunk doesn't close. He has won THOUSANDS of awards with it. I wish he would show it again. Or at least let me show it.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
You gotta earn your dads trust. I just gave my daughter my show van for her 16th birthday. The van was the International Show Car Association (ISCA) Class Champion 3 years in a row. It was stored for 13 plus years and we got it out this spring and put it back on the road. My daughter was right there with me when we replaced the motor and did all the clean up. Treat your dad with some respect and it will go a long way.

Attachments

·
Registered
32,956 Posts
that_gurl_is_me said:
How could I bring that up with my dad? He can be a bit of an ******* when I talk to him.
Well first of all do a little research on that model of car. If you know what your talking about your dad might be inclined to sit and talk to you about it. Ask a lot of questions about the motor, tranny, rear end gearing etc etc. If you show some interest I'm sure he will be happy to talk to you about it. That car is a classic and not your average daily driver. Just my .02 worth. Good luck!!!

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
he's probably going to want to see a geniune interest in it from your part and know that it will be a special car and treated in the special way he treated it, not trashed etc ...

might ask him to tell you about some of his fond memories in the car ... and go from there ..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you been driving your own car already?

Also, how old are you? (No prejudice intended, but young folks these days don;t ahve the same respect for their cars (in some cases) as the older folks did.

You have to build trust. If he knows you are a good driver and respects the automobile (any automobile) he may let you do it.

Suggest that you work together on getting it back to running condition .

Then ask him to go with you to a few cruise nights, etc. (with him driving)

If he knows you have genuine interest, he may feel more comfortable

Chas

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
That Challenger is a 1970.

I would show him your interested in old cars, and go from there. I wouldn't let my daughter learn to drive in mine, wait 20 years, but maybe you can build your own with his help?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am 17, but I am still a good driver. I think it i because I am a girl. He said if he gave it to anyone, it would be my brother. But he is only 15 months older than me, so it can't really be an age thing, and my brother doesn't really want it. He said if dad gave it to him he would sell it to me, his own sister would have to BUY the car of her dreams from her own brother. That's ****ed up?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.