DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I would ever do it, but how much trouble and money would we be talking? I've heard of doing it on older vehicles (a local 4x4 shop, and there is only one, said they did an el camino) but I was just wondering what you'd be looking at with a 2nd gen Ram. Would it just be a matter of getting a junked 4x4 and bolting up the parts or is there more involved?

·
Registered
725 Posts
The 2WD to 4WD is not a bolt on. The 2wd has different mounting points welded to the frame then the 4wd does. And I'm not sure about the front cross member where the engine sits in, this is where on a 4wd model has the track mounted close to it. If you could get a complete front end out of a 4wd and a welder your in business.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2wd 98 ram and have always wondered the same. I think it would cost roughly 7 grand for something like that. For the money I spent on my lift and tires I probably could have done it.

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
:huh: Sounds like a huge undertaking.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
It can be done, but it would be cheaper to buy a 4wd frame and swap it over. It wouldnt be bad to convert a 2wd truck to a 4wd if your not trying to put the stock 4wd componets on it. If you were to convert to front leafs, it would be alot simpler task without a ton of fabricating.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A 4wd frame is a good idea. It's just the axle, tranny, and transfercase that would be the expensive part of the deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.