DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this sound rediculous? I really want to turn up my cummins. I've got Edge Juice with attitude now and the stock tranny is really not liking it. i usually tour around on 1 but i've hit 5 a couple of times and the tranny only wants to slip. Building the auto is another alternative that i could do. Just wondering if anybody knows what all would have to be done to convert from auto to the 6 spd other than the usual with peddles and the whole for the shifter. would the same transfer case work? Driveshafts will probably need to be changed to. Would it be worth it over rebuilding the auto. I'm not affraid of the gears or the clutch in the city.. (i don't think). I love the Edge and its got me in the mood to go further. I'm thinking injectors and eventually twin turbos and beyond. Any help would be gladly appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Man,
I would love to know what you find out! I have an 02 2500 ctd auto. I put the same edge w att on 20k miles ago (3months) I killed my tranny this week. I ride around on 2 all the time but like you in first gear anything over 2 is a waste. So I am going to switch my tranny out for a mauel. Online right now trying to find out the best route. Please pass on anything you findout from a proven source.
Thomas

·
Registered
377 Posts
In the long run, it would cost you less to have the auto tranny built to handle the extra power. After you buy all the parts, you still have to consider the time and headaches involved with the switch.

A properly built tranny can handle as much horsepower that you can give it. We've put over 750HP through one and never broke it.

Pulled an 11.77 sec 1/4 mile run one weekend. Then pulled a 15,000 lb 5th wheel trailer the next weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seriously... thats what i've been finding out. I'm thinking of going with BD. They're out on the west coast of canada so the duty and stuff won't kill me and apparently they have really good stuff. I"m thinking about going with their heavy duty convertor and valvebody. Ats stuff would be nice but little too expensive for this little bum. What all do you have in your tranny? 11.77 is no sloutch by any means...really impressive. NO dought it handled that 5th wheel with no problems at all. What all do you have done under the hood if you dont mind me asking? 750 Hp sounds awesome.. hows the driveability of your beast? What kind of torque are you pushing? That must sound awesome too. Thats a powerstroke and Duramax for snax kind of dodge. AWESOME
scotter

·
Registered
377 Posts
The tranny in the truck at the time was a DTT, it worked fine. Billet input shaft, torque convertor and a valve body in a fresh rebuild is all that was done to the tranny.

Torque numbers were well over 1500 lb/ft. We never could get an accurate number on the torque. The optical pickup wouldn't stay focused on the reflective tape.

I'm assuming you are in Canada. DTT makes a very strong tranny. Bill Kondolay(the owner) was BD tranny builder before going out on his own. www.dieseltrans.com

·
Registered
198 Posts
Stay with the auto, I have an ATS and it takes everything I throw at it.

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
I know alot of guys swear by dtt but ats is also pretty good too I hear. Either way I don't think you can go wrong. Another benefit of sticking with the auto will be that your truck will be much faster with the same horspower.

·
Registered
66 Posts
if you really want to go to a std you are better off selling your truck and buying a stick instead. The amount of work involved is huge. I would just get a beefy auto

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya... you from canada too?

I just don't want to get raped over on the shipping and handling and duty and stuff... sticking inside canada would be awesome... dtt in canada? i'm going to check it out... Your truck goes like snot... hope to follow in your footsteps brother.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My truck is slow, I'm referring to our work/race truck.

We ran 11.94 on diesel only last weekend with plenty of fuel left on the table.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.