DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
lerchcon
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me be the first to admit I am an idiot when it comes to suspension dont know anything about it, so this question may be stupid. I Have a 2003 dodge ram quadcab 1500 2wd as in my signature. When i crank the wheel all the way when turning slowly like parking, it makes a sound. Last year i had my brakes changed and they claimed some part was touching another and showed me the wear, it was digging right into it causing it wear the metal down. Will replacing the control arms fix this. and by chance do you know the name of the part it touches when turning. I thought they made rubber stops for this sort of thing the mechanic said no they dont, so not sure. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
Its a steering stop and supposed to touch to keep you from over steering the rack and pinion or steering box. An old trick was to place a dab of grease on the contact point to keep noise to a minimum. Its not really damaging or effecting anything BUT if your turning in parking lots is making that much noise I would guess you have a different problem.

·
lerchcon
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any suggestions at to what that problem would be

·
Registered
3 Posts
get under there and look over the lower control arm. the spindle might be rubbing. i have taken an angle grinder and grinded out a tiny tiny notch on some of the other trucks. it works fine and doesn't loose strength

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sounds to me like a spindle rubbing a swaybar maybe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What kind of sound are you getting? I think Im having the same problem. It makes this groaning sound when I turn slowly. Cant seem to pinpoint where its coming neither. Seems like its coming from the back.

·
lerchcon
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mins is comming from the front and I am getting the same noise. I figure now if i put my system in I wont be able to hear it anymore, none the less it wont matter as much

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.