DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering building a set of upper and lower control arms, as i'm tired of my 35x12.5's grabbing onto them when turning a little too tight.
Thinking of using something like these, along with some round stock i've got lying around the scrap pile.
https://www.barnes4wd.com/Forged-Chromoly-Poly-Joint-2-58-Inch-Mounting-Width-58-Inch-Bolt-Hole-1-14-12-Right-Hand-Threads-_p_419.html

Also looking at replacing all the rubber bushings on the truck as 90% of them are factory and pretty well shot. Thinking traditional rubber is my best option, but have heard descent things about the new poly ones.

Any thoughts, suggestions, tips/tricks, or knowledge from experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
you will need to drill out the through bolt termination points for a 5/8ths bolt. the stock bolts are a metric similar to a 9/16ths. nice joints though. with a RH thread on one end and a LH thread on the other, your control arms will be an adjustable length.
I eliminated my length adjustability. took the "cam washers" out and replaced them with a typical centered washer. stead fast at 0* caster. cant really notice, and it don't bother me any. MORE caster makes the wheels center naturally

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I did some shopping around and a descent set seems to run about $500 and i can build them for cheaper than that. Just gotta find the time to get it done between all my other projects.

Spun, have you replaced any of the OEM suspension bushings? If so did you go for OE style rubber, or go for the modern poly?

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
i use poly any time I can. even both my engine mounts and trans mounts are solid poly. yes solid engine mounts, about 80 durometer. .

·
Registered
9,206 Posts

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
my control arm bushings are poly inserts. no not noisy. I have after market tubular arms. black poly, "evidently has graphite impregnated", does not squeak, red poly is the greaseable type. not that greasing black is a bad thing either, poly is unaffected by grease and solvents!
https://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332220
notice that I used a die cutter or Dremel bit would do, to groove the outside and inside of the bushings for grease travel allowance. also I drilled an eighth hole in the sleeve to grease the bolt inside the unit. all to keep the metal parts from rust seizing and the black poly from squeaking. grease eventually does squeeze out through, around the nut and bolt head out both sides.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
is that the info you were looking for?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.