DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Dodge and I am considering buying a 2008 Ram Power Wagon. I didn't want a diesel, but I want a truck that is not like everybody elses and can tow and still be fun to drive. I will be using the truck for around town light hauling, towing a 7000 lb travel trailer and just fun wheeling when I am boondocking. There are still some 2007 models around and the 2008s are just starting to show up at the dealers in Southern California. So far, it looks like the best deals are around invoice less the rebates of $4500. A few questions. First, is anybody towing with a Power Wagon and how is it working for you. What is a fair price, does being a limited production help or hurt resale? If you own one do you still like it? Any pros or cons would be helpful. And yes I know that with a 4.56 rear end the mileage is gonna suck.

thanks for any help.

·
Code Red
2,612 Posts
I was really hoping you'd find your way over here from "the other forum". This is the place to be if you own a PW. I answered you on the other site, but I'll c&p here for continuity sake.

The gas mileage can be ok or abysmal. I consistently get 14.5MPG overall per tank. That's 90% city driving. I'm one of the lucky ones. A number of other owners I know are looking at 11MPG. I typically get around 460 miles per tank of gas. I'm also a very conservative driver on a day to day basis. I'm not going to lie to your though. You really need to consider fuel economy in your decision. I know of two folks selling their PWs due to gas prices, and another thinking about it.

I tow a 3,000 pound popup during the camping season. If I couldn't see it in the rear view mirror, I would forget about it because it doesn't seem like I'm towing anything. My MPG usually drops to 11MPG overall for the trip when I tow. You definitely do not want to put in a slide in camper. Aside from the manual saying not to do it because the suspension is set up for wheeling not hauling, there's been real world experience with one of the guys I know. He put in lift bags, Super Chips etc, and it still didn't help. The PW is for wheeling and some hauling, but it's definitely set up for the wheeler.

If you get your PW, stop in at my site, http://powerwagonregistry.org and register it so you can find and be found by other owners in your area to go wheeling with.

Forgot to talk about pricing. Many of the guys who bought new (mine was used) paid about $32 - $35K fully loaded. Some paid higher, one guy got one for $25K. You can wheel and deal on them. They're pricey trucks if you don't.

I will say that if you're a wheeler, you will not be disappointed. They are phenomenal off-road vehicles. See another of my sites, http://trucks.pcwize.com/wheeling/rio_puerco2.php and check out the Flex galleries on the right side under Galleries as well as the monster truckin galleries.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I tow a flat bed trailer (1800 lbs) with buggy (2200lbs) ....also have a 1200 lb slide in camper ...and it does fine for the most part....

I think the issues with the 7000lb trailer would be the rear suspension being too "soft" for that weight...and to cure it you must start changing things...that being said there are some "air bags" from CARLI that may be just right .....

The 4:56 gears are fine as they are balanced by the 33" tires.....

Final thought...if it is only for towing I would go with a 2500 rather than PW....if you also want something really good off road also it is hard to beat .....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Thanks ldgregory and flattire,

I am an old time bike off-roader who can't afford a busted leg or pelvis, so the Power Wagon is meant to give me a "fix" of excitement now and then. I doubt I could use it to it's fullest, but I will use it for wheeling when we camp.

As for towing, I pull an Airstream, and such, they are rivited aluminum construction and really like a "soft" riding tow vehicle, that is one of the reasons I am looking at the PW, not to mention the gearing. I just got rid of a crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel, so I am over the excess in regard to towing. I want something I can take to the store, take in the boonies and pull my silver bullet. The specs say the PW quad has about a 2000 lb payload, that should be plenty for the tongue weight of the trailer and the light load i will usually be hauling.

I am looking forward to going through drive-throughs and ordering without turning off the motor.

I am considering a fully loaded PW, everything except the rear video Msrp just under $50K with a total discount about $10,500. Not cheap, but what in life is that puts a smile on your face. There are only about 10 2008 PWs in CA. Do you think they will make a PW in 2009 in the new model, I am thinking not?

I am all ears, any more advice or tips

·
Registered
335 Posts
I tow my boat 6000# around a lot in the summer and enclosed sled trailers in the winter. I have yet to have a problem with the Wagon not being up to the task. Off-road again they are incredible for a stock truck. I get 16MPG on the highway with the cruise set at 64MPH 2000RPM running 89 or better octane. Around town 12-12.5MPG average. Once you hook a trailer up no matter how large or small it seems to be 11MPG.

·
Code Red
2,612 Posts
I don't have any experience towing over 3,000 pounds on my PW. I think you're definitely gonna know the 7K Airstream is back there especially on hills. If you're cool with that and the gas mileage, then you'll be very happy with the PW. Heck, if you can swing it, maybe the dealer will let you pull your Airstream on a test drive. It's a whole lotta money to get the wrong kinda truck. Going from all that torque on the diesel to the 365 lb ft torque on the 5.7L is going to be noticable to you.

There's speculation on whether there will be PWs for 2009. Nobody knows and Chrysler is definitely keeping its mouth shut. If the sequentially numbered thing pans out at least in the sense that theoretically there can be no more than 9,999 made per production year (last four of VIN), then they should hold their value better than a straight 2500 5.7L will. To the best of my knowledge there aren't more than 3,000 2005 model year PWs. 2006 - 2008 is anyone's guess as I've seen last four VINs in the 9,000s for each.

At any rate, the PW really is a phenomenal truck and it will definitely put a smile on your face every time you look at her. Errr, well, except at the gas pump. <grin>

·
Code Red
2,612 Posts
Jsut for comparison to tmthunder. I run 68MPH on the freeway at 2,100RPM on 87 octane. I did some highway driving tests over the course of two days going back and forth between ABQ and SF which is a very hilly run and I'm pulling right at about 18MPG. But like I said, I'm one of the really lucky ones.

tmthunder really hit it on the head with no matter what you tow, it seems to be 11MPG.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
tmthunder said:
I tow my boat 6000# around a lot in the summer and enclosed sled trailers in the winter. I have yet to have a problem with the Wagon not being up to the task. Off-road again they are incredible for a stock truck. I get 16MPG on the highway with the cruise set at 64MPH 2000RPM running 89 or better octane. Around town 12-12.5MPG average. Once you hook a trailer up no matter how large or small it seems to be 11MPG.
Great info tmthunder,

Any idea what your tongue weight is on the boat/trailer? My trailer's dry weight is 5500#, fully loaded (which it never is) it is 7300#, I usually run at about 6800#. The tongue weight is about 900#. How is it on long grades, can you keep it at 65mph without too many downshifts or high Rpms.

ldgregory,

I did test pull my trailer with a 2008 2500 mega/hemi with a 3.73 gear, it was ok, but I knew before I tried it that the gearing would not pull the hill the best. It needed a 4.10 rear, but no dealer stocks the here, thus the PW with the hemi/4.56s, I figured that would make a big difference on the hills.

Towing is important, but all around use, especially the fun kind is my goal, and the diesel 2500 Rams are not exciting to me, just not my style, great power, but way more than I need. I love the idea of PW and it's ability in stock form with a long warranty...

Any more advice or tips would be welcomed!!!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Just for comparision sake, I bought my 2006 PW for 30K with 25K miles on it. I occasinaly tow a 7000 pound chipper on steep dirt roads, (or no roads) and I do just fine. This is by far the most kick ass truck I've ever owned. If I ever sell it, it will be based purely on gas milage woes. The truck can do just about anything.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Being from a farm my pw does quite a bit of routine towing. From light loads like grain augers(2000 pounds), my 85 farm truck has a tow bar attached to the front of it and often gets pulled back home by my power wagon(also handy when my power wagon gets left at local bars, just drive my 85 in to pick it up, hook it behind the power wagon and pull the 85 home lol)anyways thats about 6000 or more (85 dodge 4x4 + 100 gal diesel slip tank if full). The power wagon pulls that like it's not even there. Gotta go slow around corners though-no togue weight at all. My camper weighs in at about 5000. Also my car trailer (weighs 3000 empty- 12500gross)hauling the odd car(probably up to 7 or 8000 gross). Right up to hauling my 10000 pound loader tractor. So that would be around 13000 pounds. I usually don't tow this over 50mph, just out of respect for my trailer. Now what you have to consider is that I live in an area where most of my towing is on pretty flat ground, and mostly within about 50-120 miles. I guess what I'm saying is that for occasional short distance towing the power wagon works awsome. But if I was going to pull every day with my truck I would probably rather have a diesel (for power and fuel mileage). I was laughing at an old guy that traded his 89 dodge diesel in for a 2004 hemi, had it hooked to like a 30 foot fifth wheel, and was bitching about the bad milage and lack of power it had to go down to arizona(about 1500 miles from here). Remember a hemi is only 343 cubic inches so yes a small block. An awsome improvement from the 318 and 360 days, but not to be compaired to the torque of the cummins.

As for mileage, my power wagon burns no more gas than my 04 ram(all wheel drive) around town. It's a couple mpgs harder on the highway. But the fun factor more than makes up for that. I dont go on many long trips so highway milage doesn't bother me. Lastly when I bought my truck I was comparing it to diesels. On average my payment would have been up around $200 more/month. I average around $400 in gas/month. So even if I saved $100 on fuel/month. the diesel would still cost me more. Plus more to service and way more for parts in the long run. Usually get around 320-360 miles per tank(mostly town)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I wish I had a LIFETIME warrenty. Mine is almost up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
timemachine said:
I usually run at about 6800#. The tongue weight is about 900#
My camper is about 8500-9000# with about 825# on the tongue, depending on how I'm loaded. With a good weight distribution hitch it pulls and rides fine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tell me more

Thanks 07PW108,

I have been using an Equalizer WD hitch, worked fine with my previous truck. You have quite a load, can you keep at at 65mph without too much strain on the long grades? Are you getting about 10 mpg while towing?

·
Registered
95 Posts
timemachine said:
Thanks 07PW108,

I have been using an Equalizer WD hitch, worked fine with my previous truck. You have quite a load, can you keep at at 65mph without too much strain on the long grades? Are you getting about 10 mpg while towing?
I was keeping it around 60, but that was me not the truck, it wanted to go. Mileage sucked, ended up at 7.5 on the overhead computer. Since that averages mileage I think I was about 7 MPG. But better than having to pay for storage for the camper. I bought a Blue Ox hitch. I was looking for a Reese w/ the sway control, but couldn't find it locally.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146008&page=4

My pic is on the bottom, hooked up and ready to go.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will it ride level while towing?

07PW108 said:
I was keeping it around 60, but that was me not the truck, it wanted to go. Mileage sucked, ended up at 7.5 on the overhead computer. Since that averages mileage I think I was about 7 MPG. But better than having to pay for storage for the camper. I bought a Blue Ox hitch. I was looking for a Reese w/ the sway control, but couldn't find it locally.

My pic is on the bottom, hooked up and ready to go.

Are you able to get the truck to ride level with the WD hitch? In the picture it looked like the front of the PW is a bit higher than the rear.

·
Registered
95 Posts
timemachine said:
Are you able to get the truck to ride level with the WD hitch? In the picture it looked like the front of the PW is a bit higher than the rear.
It was pretty close to level. That was the first time that I've set up a WD hitch. I had to adjust it a couple of times to get it loaded right (almost right) and I did it at the campground. This spring I will adjust it a little better and take it to the scales to make sure it's right on. It's a real pita adjusting those things. It will be level when it's all done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
setting up WD trailer hitch

07PW108 said:
It was pretty close to level. That was the first time that I've set up a WD hitch. I had to adjust it a couple of times to get it loaded right (almost right) and I did it at the campground. This spring I will adjust it a little better and take it to the scales to make sure it's right on. It's a real pita adjusting those things. It will be level when it's all done.
I hear you, to get the set up right takes a lot of adjustment, but when it is done, 1/3 of the weight of the tongue should be on the PW front axle, 1/3 on the PW rear axle and 1/3 on the trailer axle, and the real trick is to get them all level. Sounds like you have it down and the PW is cooperating. Good to hear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
California PWs?

flattire said:
Timemachine...where in SoCal are you?
Orange County, anybody else from around the area? We have some great local hills around Saddleback and up on Ortega. Are there any Power Wagon groups/clubs/friends in OC?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Timemachine, I have maybe 400# tongue weight (dual axle trailer) and as for the long grades when I am on the high way 64-65MPH the truck does not shift. If I am on the back roads where I am not using cruise control it will shift down once and that is it.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts