DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 06 QC two weeks ago. I'm down in south central LA(the state) where it seems to rain every three days. My whole life I have known only one way to wash and wax. Just wash the damn thing and then wax when clean. Now that I have have my first new truck I want to do it right but not 10hr right. Do I really need to apply some sort of polish/glaze before I wax? I want the truck to look good but more concerned about paint protection. How often should I wax the truck? Can I wash between waxings without stripping wax protection?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
polish is a sort of in between wax thing. you should wash it every week.polish after you wash it every week and wax it every month or so maybe longer depending on your outside surroundings.

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
PAID OFF!
1,262 Posts
never wash more then every 6 months!!! i no a guy who waxed it every month and it took the clear coat out of the paint in about a year!!!

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
02Durango! said:
never wash more then every 6 months!!! i no a guy who waxed it every month and it took the clear coat out of the paint in about a year!!!
he was probably using a cleaner wax or abrasive polish or something. Just a regular wax with no swirl remover, no cleaner, etc can't hurt the paint. Alot of waxes are like polish and wax combined and yes if you abuse those you'll eat alot of clear coat off. We had this stuff where I used to work that was a cleaner glaze and it would make paint shiny as hell. I wouldn't use it more than a couple times on mine though because it was flat strong, any mark on the paint including most small scratches it would make virtually disappear.

·
PROJECT SRT-345
1,480 Posts
02Durango! said:
I hope you mean never WAX more than every 6 months. lol if i didn't wash my truck for 6 months, it would be a huge ball of dust....

I wash/polish my truck every week, and wax every 6 months... Thats all you need

Jason

·
[]D [] []v[] []D
808 Posts
Don't forget....MICROFIBER TOWELS....this very well may be the world's perfect wash/polish/and wax removing essential. With a Microfiber towel it is extremely hard to scratch paint (you would have to have something trapped in the cloth).

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
4.7L_02_QC said:
Don't forget....MICROFIBER TOWELS....this very well may be the world's perfect wash/polish/and wax removing essential. With a Microfiber towel it is extremely hard to scratch paint (you would have to have something trapped in the cloth).
I agree!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used Meguiar’s cleaner wax. Did not know the difference between all the different waxes at wallyworld. I guess the cleaner wax was not the way to go if it can take off the clear coat.

·
PAID OFF!
1,262 Posts
02Durango! said:
sorry guys for the mix up i ment never wax more then every 6 monts!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Kainkun said:
Just got my 06 QC two weeks ago. I'm down in south central LA(the state) where it seems to rain every three days. My whole life I have known only one way to wash and wax. Just wash the damn thing and then wax when clean. Now that I have have my first new truck I want to do it right but not 10hr right. Do I really need to apply some sort of polish/glaze before I wax? I want the truck to look good but more concerned about paint protection. How often should I wax the truck? Can I wash between waxings without stripping wax protection?
www.autoeducation.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.