DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking to purchase new tires/wheels for my '05 Dodge 1500 and have looked at several big name tires stores and getting different stories about what I can and can't do. Can anyone help with selection or suggestions?

·
fish on
2,132 Posts
welcome to dodge talk what kind wheels n tires off road or some bling? are you 2wd or4wd?

chuck

·
fish on
2,132 Posts
i like the bfg 315/70/17 fits nice but thats just me and i left the stock rims on for now

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told that to go bigger and wider and keep the 17" wheel I would have to have wheel well trimmed. Is this true?

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
give us a little more info

do you want after market wheels, or tires only, do you have 20's, 17's, want 20's, 17's, anything between?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am wanting to do aftermarket wheels/tires, I have been told that to do bigger and wider tires it would require cutting and trimming the wheel well. I have also been told that no I can go to a bigger and wider tire and keep with a 17" wheel. I would prefer to maybe stay with a 17" wheel but if the above is true than I need to go to a 20" wheel but then I am limited in tire size. I am just confused as to the different stories from different shops and replies I've been reviewing in the forums from other writers

·
5,089 Posts
ok, clear your mind of anything you've heard before

go to your local tire shop, find a wheel style you like

ask for it in a 17x8 or 17x9 and a 0 or +20 offset, or anything in between

then ask for a 285 70 17 or a 305 70 17 in a tire you like

both will fit fine if you find a wheel with the offset I mentioned

on a 17x8 you can go to a little bit lower offset, -10-+20 will be perfect

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you but one of the above responses from another member mentioned he has 315/70/17 that are working for him.

·
5,089 Posts
the 315's require a torsion bar crank 99% of the time

·
Registered
984 Posts
HemiBass, do those 315's rub in the rear at full flex? How about in the front?

After messing around I realize that there is very little flex in the front, but the back isnt that bad. The rear bump stops leave a ton of room above the tire with the stock 265's, so I am assuming you are all set in the back?

·
MFIC
682 Posts
Chauncy said:
the 315's require a torsion bar crank 99% of the time
ive got an 05 1500 4x4.. i guess you would consider me that 1% who didnt need to crank the torsion bars to get the 315s to fit. :D

BUT, you should crank them, like i did.. it looks way friggin better leveled out. check my gallery.

·
fish on
2,132 Posts
tyler711 said:
HemiBass, do those 315's rub in the rear at full flex? How about in the front?

After messing around I realize that there is very little flex in the front, but the back isnt that bad. The rear bump stops leave a ton of room above the tire with the stock 265's, so I am assuming you are all set in the back?
i have not had a chance to flex it all the way out but they will rub if u jump it :D i had a dirt mound and my buddys house and it rubded lol and the rears have lots of room

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Well, one thing no one has mentioned yet that is very important is...what gear ratio does your truck have? With stock 17's you could have 3.55's or 3.92's. If it is the 3.55's then the stock 265's are just about as big as you want to go. Maybe a 275 or so. Once you hit 285+ you are going to see a noticeable drop in performance and MPG PLUS you are going to add a lot of extra strain to your drivetrain as it will take more petal to get the truck going. The bigger you go the more the drop in power/MPG and the more strain you are going to place on your drivetrain.

Just something to keep in mind. I too wanted a bigger tire to fill out the wheel well better( I have the 245's stock ). However, with the 3.55 gears I was limited in how big I could go. I went with the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's in P265/70R17. Bigger than what I have but I won't see any significant loss in power or MPG.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Nice truck Jimsram! Very clean look. I like it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have either of you with the 315's had any handling or power loss probs with the bigger tires. I have the 3.92's. Are they the 8 or 10" atlas wheels.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.