Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I need some help wiring my subs, I have spent countless hours trying to understand all that there is to know, and now I know even less..... :confused:
This is what I ended up with.
Joe fox dual 10" ported (due to arrive 10-16...)
2 Alpine Type R 10" DVC subs (4ohms)
Eclipse 33230 2-channel amp
2ohms 200w x 2ch
4ohms 130w x 2ch
4ohms BRIDGED 400w x 1ch

I have the amp installed all ready to go when enclosure arrives..(power, ground, and remote)
Now for the confusing part, well for me anyway.
How should these subs be wired, I really suck at this and I am making this a bigger project than I need it to be.
I have been on www.the12volt.com to try and learn, but the whole ohms, series and parallel theory continues to make me nuts. :crazy:
and do I just run 1 voice coil per sub or both,there seems to be a big debate on that as well......
Anyway any advice will be welcomed and greatly appreciated
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
994 Posts
you run both. resistance (measured in ohms) varies depending on how you wire the coils and speakers. what ohm load do you want to run on your amp? what are the specs for the speakers? give us some info and we'll get this figured out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
According to those specs, (Dual 4 Ohm voice coils), this would be the best way to wire those subs to that amp. You don't really want any right/left separation in your subs, so bridging is the best way to go.

Anyone watching this thread, do not connect your speakers in the fasion that was illustrated in this pic. I should not draw speaker diagrams after 4 hours sleep. Sorry. Refresh your browser to get rid of the pic. Thanks. Use these instructions instead. http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
??

ok.........this I understand, on the foxbox each speaker has a push plug on the outside, so do I run 2 sets of wires from the amp, or jump them at the box?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Edit: I fail. Please ignore! I just realized you have to run 2 ohm or higher on your amp. you amp isn't pushing enough for these two subs. you will blow them if you run this setup.

·
Registered
994 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got it................but this amp doesnt state 1 ohm stable, it does state 2 ohm stable. am I missing something.......... of course I am..just not sure what the hell it is :crazy:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just went to the site you directed me to,, makes more sense now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how about this 1 then?

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
yup. you are just inside the RMS at 200 watts each running the amp bridged.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 last question.................now that I have a better idea of how it all comes together.
I run 1 pair of wires to my sub from the amp...........then run a jumper set from the first sub across to the 2nd sub.............can I do this externally, or internaly.... I have not got the box yet(will be here tommorow) but from the pics of it it appears to have to plug setup for each sub.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here is the box

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
does this help?

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Now I'm confused as to what it is you are asking for. The pic I posted, with the voice coils wired in series on each sub and the subs then wired in parallel is the way it should be wired. I wasn't aware that you didn't actually have the box and speakers. You are going to have to wait till you get the box and if it's not wired correctly, wire it correctly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the speakers already, box should be here tommorow. if I wire it the way you have it that means I run 2 sets of wires from the amp to the subs.
I know I have to jump the voice coils, they came with jumpers. I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but I really do appreciate all your help....bear with me I am just starting to understand.

·
Registered
114 Posts
BoneDryRacer said:
if I wire it the way you have it that means I run 2 sets of wires from the amp to the subs.
Correct, that is the parallel portion of the wiring. You can do the parallel wiring inside the bos if you want and use only one of the connectors on the box, doesn't really matter. Basically all you have to do is twist and solder the two +'s together and solder the two -'s together then hook them up inside the box to one of the cup terminals.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I cant thank you enough, and thank you ppp1182 for all your help as well.....cant wait to get these bad boys fired up..... :rck:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.