1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Unregistered User
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
69 Posts
Guess I have one question. Why would you tear up the dash like that to put a computer in your truck?

Oh well, it's his truck..........I just hope he doesn't kill someone while playing on it while he drives.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I think it's pretty awsome.
I'm going to be doing something similar, only I'm taking out the center seat, and making a fiberglass console, with touchscreen in it.
Good Find.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have been wanting to do this for months on my truck but with limited funds right now no can do. I think its a great idea and it looks good. Only difference I would have gone with is the lcd would be on where the radio is and the radio would be on the bottom. Looking at an lcd from the top won't give you the greatest view.

·
Unregistered User
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Attachments

·
My coinholder adds 15 HP!
1,441 Posts
I guess it gives your passenger something to do, or the driver in a traffic jam!!! LOL

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think buying already made vehicle systems are way overrated. They cost too much. You are better off building a system yourself and saving yourself a lot of money. If you have the knowledge to build a computer it should be simple. The hardest thing to me is getting that part to fit the lcd on.

That nano computer thing is also a good deal. They aren't meant to be put in cars but no one said you can't use them in cars.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'd much rather get an old laptop, and mod that.

I had a laptop that the screen broke one month after the 2 year warranty was up.
I bought a new laptop, and now have one, two year old laptop, minus a screen.
I dremeled the screen brackets flush, and with a thin strip of black electrical tape across the top, you'd have never known there what a screen ;) It's got everything I'd need, including the keyboard ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm wanting to do the same, but I was to use MCE and get rid of the stock radio. I use MCE on two pc's at home and it would be easy to have it sync avi and mp3 files wirelessly whenever it senses my home network.

The good thing about using a pc instead of these high dollar mobile video units is that it's completely open for upgrade via hardware or software. There just aren't the limits you get with buying pre-made aftermarket gear.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My suggestion to you as I did this in a 99 Grand Prix GTP and helped a friend put a puter in his 03 Grand Cherokeee..

Dont hack up your dash.... you can buy in-dash touch screen LCD's for $500-600 and they install in an hour. If you buy the LCD your spending $200-300, then your spending another $100 for material and then hours modifying it to fit. I hacked my dash in my GTP and did a fiberglass install and I spent 25 hours getting the console to mold and fit right and then once it was in, it was in... there was no easy way to take it out... with the in-dash unit, slid off the radio bezel and remove 2 screws and your done. The only modificaion you'll have to do is maybe cut the dash to fit the trim peice.

I am trying to develop a computer kit (i've sold some to local stereo shops) for the avg. person that is a easy install and sell them online with upgradable options... I am finanlize some product choices.... I dont want to give out too much information as I could loose YOU as a future customer, but screw it...

www.mp3car.com

they have good information in regards to mobile computing...

·
Unregistered User
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
boardthis74 said:
I'm wanting to do the same, but I was to use MCE and get rid of the stock radio. I use MCE on two pc's at home and it would be easy to have it sync avi and mp3 files wirelessly whenever it senses my home network.

The good thing about using a pc instead of these high dollar mobile video units is that it's completely open for upgrade via hardware or software. There just aren't the limits you get with buying pre-made aftermarket gear.
I already have a 20 gig mp3 player for my truck that can synch wirelessly with my pc from inside of my house. It also came with a unit for my home stereo.

·
Unregistered User
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sethro said:
My suggestion to you as I did this in a 99 Grand Prix GTP and helped a friend put a puter in his 03 Grand Cherokeee..

Dont hack up your dash.... you can buy in-dash touch screen LCD's for $500-600 and they install in an hour. If you buy the LCD your spending $200-300, then your spending another $100 for material and then hours modifying it to fit. I hacked my dash in my GTP and did a fiberglass install and I spent 25 hours getting the console to mold and fit right and then once it was in, it was in... there was no easy way to take it out... with the in-dash unit, slid off the radio bezel and remove 2 screws and your done. The only modificaion you'll have to do is maybe cut the dash to fit the trim peice.

I am trying to develop a computer kit (i've sold some to local stereo shops) for the avg. person that is a easy install and sell them online with upgradable options... I am finanlize some product choices.... I dont want to give out too much information as I could loose YOU as a future customer, but screw it...

www.mp3car.com

they have good information in regards to mobile computing...
Can you show me an example of one of these screw in LCDs? I haven't seen one and would like to learn more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you have a link to an in dash touch screen lcd that interfaces with a pc? If you know of such a beast I might be interested. Although I like working with glass and will probably go a more custom route.

There's nothing to puting a computer in a car. Everything works just like it would in your home pc, just need to make sure you seal and filter it well and use either a dc power supply capable of supplying the required amperage, or a decent dc/ac inverter.

·
Registered
261 Posts
boardthis74 said:
Do you have a link to an in dash touch screen lcd that interfaces with a pc? If you know of such a beast I might be interested. Although I like working with glass and will probably go a more custom route.

There's nothing to puting a computer in a car. Everything works just like it would in your home pc, just need to make sure you seal and filter it well and use either a dc power supply capable of supplying the required amperage, or a decent dc/ac inverter.
This site has mini itx computers and cases for mounting inside a car. They also sell some small touchscreen monitors. There's power supplies as well for in-car power.

http://www.mini-itx.com/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, I've been to that site. I was thinking of using that type of board/proc, but the cyrix only goes up to 1.3 if I remember correctly. They also only have one pci slot, I want to run MCE which needs a pci slot for a capture card for fm radio, also maybe some terestrial tv (parked of course). And then I want a wireless card and haven't had much luck with usb versions of either. So it's micro-atx for me.

Does that site have the in dash touch screen mentioned earlier? I couldn't find anything that was ment to fit in the dash.

·
Registered
223 Posts
alright here is some links.

Case: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1385003&CatId=0

I found the same trouble with most of the cases at mini-itx.com... I needed more than 1 PCI slot. I used this case in my last install, it was mounted in the trunk. I was able to put in 4 additional PCI devices with this case. Most other MINI cases only allow for maximuim of 2.

Touch- LCD:
http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=91
http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=120

I used something similar to the 2nd product.... It came with mounting brackets. The only thing we had to do was find a DIN mount that fit the vehicle and we mounted it in place of the Radio.

If I can provide any more assitance, let me know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That second lcd is sick. I totaly didn't know they had those that interface with the pc. You used the second one right? Any comment on screen quality? What about washout due to sunlight? After seeing that, I might save my dash after all. Thanks for the link.

Oh, sethro, that quote at the bottom of your sig. Where's that from. It looks really familiar for some reason.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Board.... I used the one with the clock....My response to screen quality... you get what you pay for. I looked at 1000 touch screen LCD that look like GLASS, but I wasnt willing to pay 1G for a screen. That screen quality is perfect IMHO. You dont get much glare from the sun at all. They both are able to tilt up/down/left/right so you can adjust....

It's from Napoleon Dynamite

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
boardthis, you can't use a usb capture card with MCE?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.