DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:huh: OK, this is the type of thing that drives me nuts. I'll explain the entire thing, maybe someone out there can give me some insight.
I picked up a 1995 Dodge Neon for $150. Two door, 5 speed, DOHC. It was not running and I was told the head gasket was blown. Fine. I knew the risks but wanted a car to tinker on. I plan on driving it to work and back. About 15 mins each way.
A compression test indicated the head gasket was indeed blown. I pulled the head and found the cylanders were somewhat pitted. I had the head milled true, the valves ground, replaced 2 valves etc. I bought all new head bolts and cam bolts. 2 new lash adjusters. Got a block out of a 1996 Neon, SOHC. Engine was running when I pulled the block. Gently honed the 1996 block, new rings and rod bearings. New exhaust manifold, water pump, belts, hoses, clutch etc. Carefully installed DOHC head to 1996 block. It looked great. Timing belt was perfect, etc. It looked brand new.
Fired it up. Started right up, ran like a charm. Kept it at fast idle about 10 minutes. 1800 Rpm. It warmed up perfectly and idled on the money. Shut it down to get a cup of coffee. Started it up again after about 20 mins. Started right up again. After about 2 mins it shut off. Like I turned the key off. Tried to start it again and it sounded as if the starter was just spinning, not engaging. I checked and the engine was turning. Baffled, I check the compression. 20 Lbs on all 4. Had 120 before starting the first time. All 4. Now 20lbs. Pulled the front off the engine, the timing was perfect. I checked it 6 or 7 hundred times.
I let it sit for 5 or 6 days. My cool off time. Checked the compression again. Each cylander now has 120lbs of pressure. Instead of putting it all back together, I pulled out the oil pump pressure relief piston and spring. The piston had some mild scoring. I assume at this point the piston got hung up and over pressurized the lash adjusters causing them to not allow the valves to close completely. Any sugestions before I put this all back together??? I replaced the oil pump piston and spring.
PS The 1995 DOHC had the power bump on the hood, the 1996 SOHC did not. This seems to be the subject of endless debate, here's my observation.

·
Registered
199 Posts
did u try to start it after the compression came back ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not put the engine back together yet in the event someone knew of a similar problem. I've read about differences in SOHC blocks having extra drain holes but I didn't think it would make a difference in my application. I figured there were enough Neon people out there, one of which has heard of this problem. If I get no input in the next couple of days I'll put it together and try it. I'm sure it will run but for how long I don't know. If it happens again.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.