DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never really wanted to play with making modifications to a vehicle before, but I have a feeling there is a lot that can be done for the 4.7L V8 in my new Dakota.

Basically I just want to try to get a little bit better acceleration off the line. Everything else I am more than happy with (and off the line it will move, just not quite as fast as I think it could). Where would I start? I thought about a Hypertech or Superchips programmer whenever they become available, but there is no telling when that might happen, if at all.

Any suggestions would be helpful, and if anyone has a site they can point me to that might explain more about how engines work (the actual details, I get the basic concept) and tuning in general I'd love to have more background information as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
another newbe

I am going to go pick mine up in about an hour..2005 quad cab v8 4.7 SLT pretty loaded.......how do you like yours....i am trading in my 2001 dakota v6 sport ext. cab. I hated the lack of power, the trans shifted rough and the frt. rotors always were warping. but 80,000 miles no other problems....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far I love mine. The only thing I dislike so far is that it doesn't "feel" as responsive accelerating as I thought it should, but it still moves so I'm pretty happy :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
How do you like it, tna2? I have had mine a little over a month and I am pretty happy with it. However, my 2000 Dakota 4x4 seemed to be more powerful. Maybe the 2005 weighs more or the 5-speed auto trans has something to do with it. This is the smoothest riding truck I have ever been in. It has a good feel to it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love the ride. I feels stiffer than my 2001 dak 4X4 sport V-6 3.9 club cab. the trans shifts nice and smooth and drives just so nice..Can't wait to pull the boat to canada and see how the engine and trans. handle as compared to my old dak. I have a feeling that I will be pleased.

·
Registered
8 Posts
jeseth.....it does feel like it doesnt get up and go but to watch the speedo it does...i think its the change in the truck and the 5 speed tranny that gives you the feel of slowness

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey Guys,

I've had my Dak for almost 2 1/2 years. You both may be SOOL, because Superchips just came out with the Power Programmer for the 2003 models. Hypertech may have a programmer for your new Daks but you will have to check for yourself because I am sold on Superchips. I have a friend who is a Dodge stealership mechanic who has a friend that worked for Dodge in Detroit on development of the 4.7. My friend (Trey) told me his friend said that during the development of the 4.7 they ran a mule with about 400 horses. The vehicle and the engine ran fine with no problems or damage. In my opinion I believe they detuned these 4.7s for the street. I did all my mods before I got a programmer but NONE OF MY MODS worked except for the bed liner and Amsoil until I got the programmer. Daimler-Chrysler chose to go with a speed sensor program instead of a mass air flow system like GM or Ford. You can do whatever you want to the exhaust and intake but the computer will literally detune the engine to stay within the program's original parameters until you reprogram it with either the Superchips or Hypertech programers. I've been told the Hypertech may have a little more HP but is more high maintainance. With my programmer what you notice is better response across the RPM range. It pulls harder and drives smoother. I figure with my mods I probably had somewhere between 275-300 HP at the flywheel.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Whoops! I meant bed COVER!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.