Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found this on the net.

A number of pickups appear to be having axle failures - we believe around one in ten sold. The basic axle design seems to be sound, but there are problems around components redesigned at the orders of a Chrysler executive who is no longer there. A redesign is expected with the next generation of Ram trucks in 2006 or so; in the meantime, failures appear to be dealt with on a case by case basis. Since this is a known problem, owners who encounter axle failure should press Chrysler for no-cost or subsidized replacement even if they are a reasonable time out of the warranty period. The redesigned axle will apparently not be completely interchangeable with the current version.

just thought i would post it to let everyone know.
here is the link if any one wants to see it.

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/index.html

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
thanks for the info, to date, I haven't had any axle problems...thank God

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I wonder if it has anything to do with the common drive line vibrations of the 2500-3500 Rams. I owned my '03 for two years and 44k miles with the vibration. On our last trip back from Mississippi towing our 5th wheel, the rear end sounded shot and the vibration was getting worse. It was enough to make me want to drive it off the boat ramp!:B

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont think its posted specifically for the 2500-3500 ... i think it also includes the 1500!

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
This could be referring to the LSD retaining clips that you hear a lot about. Haven't seen or heard about 1 in 10 axles failing. Think we would have read about it here, a lot, if the problem was that great.

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rtes said:
Think we would have read about it here, a lot, if the problem was that great.

i agree with you on that... that would be a major problem, or maybe some people dont know they have a problem.... could be an un noticable problem but probably not

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Yeahh... my retaining clip broke and tool the entire carrierr with it....

That was replaced under warranty... but my 4.56's gears the clip scard up where not covered... so It still set me back 250.00 plus the 100.00 prorated warranty... so it cost me 350.00 to get all fixed up.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
One in ten should be enough of a reason for a recall

The executive they say is NO LONGER THERE

I would hope not

Too bad we can't get his email address

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow that sux..... sounds like that should be a recall if it is as big as the web site suggest

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.