Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I color matched my grille today. It's all done but it seems to have a flat look rather than the shiny look.

How long should I wait to add some meguiars ultimate compound?

·
Brent
528 Posts
Did you hit it with clear?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, like 5 medium level coats, not heavy but not dull either

·
SRTs wanna b like me
2,607 Posts
i always did one final heavy coat, but idk if that would matter. after 24-48hrs u should b able to wetsand with 1500-2000 grit paper then buff

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, thanks. Should I wet sand with 2000 grit or just dry?

·
SRTs wanna b like me
2,607 Posts
WET!!! never dry sand if its ur final sanding

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Yeah pretty much follow demon hemi's how to for tail lights, its pretty much the same thing for painting...

Wet sand it dull until its all smooth then use the buffer on it and it will shine like no other

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys, will get pictures when its all done

·
Registered
570 Posts
Search for my 2nd mod... I just did what you are doing. It turned out pretty sweet if I do say so myself

·
GetALittleMudOnTheTires
8,389 Posts
goodluck, can't wait to see some pics

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is why it's flat.

I have a how to on painting the grill.
Let me re-phrase that,

I went through 3 11 oz cans of clear coat

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
:postpics:

·
Registered
570 Posts
You didnt put the last few coats on thick enough. If I were you, I would WET sand the grille down with 1500 grit, just do it real lite, and re-clear with the exact same clear coat you used before. If you switch clear brands it may not adhere. After sanding I would prep the surface with denatured alcohol and spray 2 thinner coats and load the last coats on thick. Use good lighting and it should look almost like water sitting on top of the paint. Any more and you will have runs in the clear. Then after 48 hours, WET sand again with 1500 and buff the lear coat. Just dont sand in the small cracks. You will burn those areas with the buffer. Good luck. ALso make sure you are waiting 8 to 10 minutes between coats. NO more than that and no less

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
I wouldn't even do that.

You have a TON of clear on there. Just sand it down with 800, so it's flat with no gloss or pits (orange peel) sand again (wet sanding) with 1200. Then buff to shine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.