DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LPGRamVanDriver
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it a good idea of covering front of my car?
as you know, energy is converted into warmth but leaves by cold, however if the radiator on the outside side is covered,it is possible that warmth more easily can be directed to the interior (as the blower works of course)
I hope that my English is understandable

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
You don't need to cover the the radiator up. I've seen truckers with diesel semis do this, but it's not necessary on a gasoline engine. You have a thermostat that contols coolant temperature to keep it at a constant temperature so you have plenty of heat in the winter.

·
LPGRamVanDriver
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o.k. thanks,
I think there 's something wrong with the heather. I have read a post concerning it I assume

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
what seems to be the trouble?

·
LPGRamVanDriver
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the front: lukewarm air, not "hot"
rear: cold air

·
Registered
868 Posts
I would check your thermostat. It sounds like it may be sticking open.
I am not sure what the temp gets to in Belgium, but here in Minnesota covering the radiator helps.
The radiator just gets too cold when the temp is always below freezing and more espescially when below 0*F.

If you are needing the cardboard in front of the radiator, you will see the temperature guage really cool off when the thermostat opens.

·
Seating for 12
1,893 Posts
The 5.2L/318cid engines generally make good heat. However, it sounds like you have a rear heater system too.

I just got done adjusting my rear heater for the winter season. The Denso system uses a piano-CEI actuator for rear HVAC control. Usually this sets the rear unit to full cold or full hot. Nothing in-between for mix. For cold, the actuator reads the front temp controller position and CLOSES off full hot via the rear water valve and opens the AC side of things. The air is then pushed through the ceiling vents. For hot, the actuator reads the front temp controller position and OPENS full hot via the rear water valve and closes off the AC vent door. So, hot only comes to the floor while AC/vent comes through the ceiling.

I pre-set the water valve to full OPEN and unplugged the electronic piano actuator at 3/4 vent and 1/4 floor for the winter. This way, the children are not complaining how cold it gets in back. Heat then is flowing from both the ceiling and the floor ducts. ;)

Since I do have a rear system, I place a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator covering half of it. The temps get toooo low around here by January and the engine doesn't heat up enough for the thermostat to kick in to supply TWO HVAC systems (front-n-rear)!

A few things you need to do:
- check the coolant over flow tank. Rinse out if needed and top it off again.
- check the coolant color or sludge build up. Does the cooling system need flushing?
- check the coolant mixture levels for the balance in your part of the country.

ALWAYS, use distilled water in an automotive cooling system! :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Distilled water is less than $1/gallon. If you are lazy, premix works, but you may want to get some straight antifreeze and a tester to strengthen the mixture.
I stay away from the orange stuff. It sure didn't help in the Chevy that I had. It leaked at 75,000 mi. Corrosion is bad with that stuff when the level gets low.

·
LPGRamVanDriver
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for your comment!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.